VIA'S "CANADIAN" CROSS COUNTRY TRIP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOUNG FAITHFUL

Train Attendant
I'm hoping to take my first canadian transcontinental trip on via rail's "Canadian" in either december or early spring of 2006. I have heard this is a fantastic ride. I'll be purchasing the north american railpass so I can travel on both Amtrak & Viarail.

Is the scenery best in the winterime with the snow, or should I wait until springtime of 2006 so I can see rivers & waterfalls? Also which direction is best..Toronto-Vancover or vice-versa?

I took this trip last year, about this time. Whether you want to look at snow or at spring flowers sort of depends upon you.

As to which direction is best, I did not detect any difference. Maybe some others can.

It was a lovely trip, I will guarantee you that. Be prepared to completely turn off the outside world and relax and enjoy whatever the scenery offers. Even when it is not glorious mountans it is often lots and lots of lakes, etc.

My suggestion is to look at the trip reports section of this forum. There you will see reports by several people, myself included. They may help you get a better idea what to expect. And maybe somebody else's report will be more specific than mine about which direction the scenery is better.

I can tell you that it is sort of from Jasper west that the mountains come into play so much.

Another suggestion is to travel first class, because the coach passengers are sort of crammed together up front and do not have the walk of the entire train as sleeping car passengers have, and of course their rmeals are not included.

First class can get rather pricey, but you have to weigh that against how much it adds to the ambiance of the entire trip.

What is the time keeping like on VIA's #1/#2. I have heard they run late, but what was your first hand experience?
I rode the westbound from Toronto to Jasper last May. We arrived in Jasper about 2 hours late. Since I de-trained there I can't speak for the rest of the trip on to Vancouver.

My trip ran close to schedule in each direction. For some reason we actualy were about 40 min. late into Vancouver going out.

But coming back we were about 20 min. early into Toronto.

I have traveled the Canadian both ways in the Winter and in the Summer. I would recommned going west, and going in the spring if it is after the time change. Riding into Jasper from the east and seeing the Rockies for the first time is an awe inspiring experience.

In my 7 trips on the Canadian, I have seen on time arrivals to 8 or 9 hour delays (twice) One big delay was because of a freight derailment and a detour along Lake Superior in the Summer. The other was because of broken rails do to extreme cold weather in the winter.

The winter trip is also enjoyable. The snow and cold makes for an interesting trip.

No matter what time of year though, you should try to do the trip both ways( going west first) During the excitement of the first ride, it might seem to end too quickly. Doing a round trip makes the second leg esepcially enjoyable.

Check out the menus on VIA's website.

Definitely go first class (Silver and Blue)

Thanks for the info. It looks like I will wait until next spring to take canadian trip westbound. This will also allow me to ride amtrak to Toronto, stay 2 nights and ride via's toronto-windsor route. I would like to try that route.

Looks like I'll be planning a christmas trip to Los Angeles & Disney World. Unfortunately I'll have to fly a portion of the route, but I do like Jet Blue. Hopefully hurricane season will be over and I can enjoy warm weather in Orlando.

Well I think it all depends on where you come from. We, coming from a place that dosent get very much snow LOVED the winter time and the snow but if your from a place where it alaways snows I guess that wouldent be very appealing

Back