VIA Corridor Equipment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NS VIA Fan

Conductor
We were getting a bit Off-Topic in "Twice-Weekly Canadian" so thought I'd post some photos here of Corridor Equipment.

There's several HEP consists operating in the corridor. For example: #57-75 and #70-60 run through between Montreal <>Toronto<>Windsor and include a full baggage car providing checked baggage service connecting with the Ocean. The HEP II cars operating in the corridor are Stainless Steel cars mainly acquired from Amtrak. They can be distinguished by the Blue/Yellow in the letter band above the windows. The other HEP cars (HEP I) used on the Ocean, Canadian etc have a single Blue band.

Here's #57 at Cornwall on May 12/12.

IMG_0020.JPG

REN (Renaissance) car and an interior shot. Both Coach and Business Class (Club) Cars have 2 seats on one side of the aisle and single seats on the other side.

DSC00575.JPG

DSC00457.JPG

And an LRC (Light, Rapid, Comfortable)

DSC00048.JPG

DSC00055.JPG

DSC01128.JPG

When originally built, the LRC's had their own distinct locomotive but these have been scrapped and F40s and P42s are now used for power

85-06Scan10064.JPG

Amtrak also had LRC equipment in the '80s

85-06Scan10034.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this NS VIA, it was quite timely. I was trying to figure out what was wrong with my memory, as I knew that I hadn't had 2 & 1 seating on my trip a few years ago which meant no Ren's and yet the car I had yesterday was nothing like the LRC that I did remember. But now, quite clearly, I got lucky and had a HEP car. Save the lack of power outlets at the seat, far superior IMHO to an LRC BC car!

Back