VIA Canadian and the Canadians

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today's Amtrak roomettes are basically like double slumbercoach rooms although the latter had sinks & toilets and also higher ceilings than the Superliner roomettes (in other words the same space as the Viewliner roomettes).
I believe the Amtrak “Roomettes”, both Superliner and Viewliner, are slightly longer than the Double Slumbercoach rooms were…

This proposal
Daily service IMO needs to return Toronto <> Vancouver! However with a wrinkle. Schedule 3 days a week for each on both the current CN route and the previous CP route .
Either not operate on the 7th day or alternate between the 2 routes every 4 months. It would up to the marketing gurus to determine which route which days. Those days might change with the seasons.
How about the two routes, north (Saskatoon - Edmonton - Jasper) & south (Regina - Calgary - Banff) simply alternate days? Thus, over a two-week period each would have service on every day of the week. But you still need rolling stock, just not as much as every day on each.

How about the two routes, north (Saskatoon - Edmonton - Jasper) & south (Regina - Calgary - Banff) simply alternate days? Thus, over a two-week period each would have service on every day of the week. But you still need rolling stock, just not as much as every day on each.
Many Russian night trains operate by this method (i.e. even or uneven days). However, you need to skip departures on the 31st of January, March, May, July, August, October and December (as well as 29th of Februar, in leap years) and at subsequent stations there will be alterations in departure dates for the first few days of the following month.

However, this discussion is pointless as long as no new fleet has been funded and ordered to secure the status quo (let alone: to enable any future extensions) of VIA’s non-Corridor routes…

Last edited:
What’s the baggage situation on the Canadian? Going to be taking it for the first time in a cabin for 2.

I’ve heard many people checking their bag and bringing on a day bag. However, from what I can tell from videos online, this type of room has a baggage cubby above the bathroom. Is this space large enough to store two carry-on size suitcases and maybe a backpack? We don’t pack heavy.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Upon request from a member about a dozen post on the Jasper - Prince Rupert service has been moved to its own thread since it did not have much to do with the Canadian per se, The new thread is:

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/via-jasper-prince-george-and-prince-rupert-service.86623/
Please use that thread to continue discussion of Jasper - Prince George - Prince Rupert service.

Thank you for your understanding, cooperation and participation.

https://www.viarail.ca/en/plan/baggages/carry-baggage
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to have gotten more restricted. And weirdly is tighter for sleepers than coach. I get that the berths don't have much room, but the cabins should be able to take more carry on.
This is true. The rooms have less storage space for bags than coach.

20231107_193158.jpg

This bag, plus a daypack, pretty much maxes out the carry on baggage allowance for the sleepers. This particular model folds up and packs in a nice storage case, so when didn't need it, it didn't take up too much space.

20231107_192729.jpg

20231108_093051.jpg
This is the cabin for one (roomette). The bag is sitting on top of the commode cover, but that's where the bed folds down. At night, it will need to go under the seat or bed.

Fortunately for me, I was upgraded to a cabin for two (bedroom).

20231108_094015.jpg

Looks like a lot more room, no? but there's not place for the bags except the floor. You can't even stash them under the bed at night because the chairs fold up and are stashed under the bed at night. The little cubby over the restroom can barely hold a toiletry bag, certainly not a backpack or travel bag.

View attachment 35082

This bag, plus a daypack, pretty much maxes out the carry on baggage allowance for the sleepers. This particular model folds up and packs in a nice storage case, so when didn't need it, it didn't take up too much space.

View attachment 35084

View attachment 35083
This is the cabin for one (roomette). The bag is sitting on top of the commode cover, but that's where the bed folds down. At night, it will need to go under the seat or bed.

View attachment 35081

Looks like a lot more room, no? but there's not place for the bags except the floor. You can't even stash them under the bed at night because the chairs fold up and are stashed under the bed at night. The little cubby over the restroom can barely hold a toiletry bag, certainly not a backpack or travel bag.
Thanks for that tip...I also have a bedroom for 2, but it's in Room F, which I'm told has a bit more floorspace, being a former "Compartment". I wonder if I could keep my two carryon sized rollaboards in there?

Thanks for that tip...I also have a bedroom for 2, but it's in Room F, which I'm told has a bit more floorspace, being a former "Compartment". I wonder if I could keep my two carryon sized rollaboards in there?
As has been said, VIA is very strickt with Luggage, but since you're in Bedroom F, you should be able to keep both bags in your room.

If VIA happens to say you have to check one of the bags when you check in @ the Station, just take what you need during the trip into your room!

Last edited:
As has been said, VIA is very strickt with Luggage, but since you're in Bedroom F, you should be able to keep both bags in your room.

If VIA happens to say you have to check one of the bags when you check in @ the Station, just take what you need during the trip into your room!
Considering we'll be aboard for 4 days and three nights, we'll need a bit more than just for an overnight...thanks...

Considering we'll be aboard for 4 days and three nights, we'll need a bit more than just for an overnight...thanks...
When the hubby and I were planning a round trip on Amtrak's California Zephyr earlier this year (more or less similar duration roundtrip as the Canadian one-way), we planned to bring just one duffel bag each (plus my purse and a zippered crochet project bag for me), pack enough underwear for the whole trip (plus 1 or 2 changes of casual clothes), and discard each day's underwear after use, so we wouldn't be bringing home a bunch of dirty laundry (and so our bags would be a lot lighter by the time we got home).

On our honeymoon in January 1972, CP Train 1 was late into Calgary, so we had a quick pizza for lunch near the station. The leftovers went into a box that fit precisely into the little cubby over the restroom. We concluded that it was further evidence of the high quality of Budd engineering.

There is plenty of room in F for two carry ons and is what my wife and I used on December 6th departure in F. I personally think two carry ons in other cabins for 2 would be a bit tight.

On our honeymoon in January 1972, CP Train 1 was late into Calgary, so we had a quick pizza for lunch near the station. The leftovers went into a box that fit precisely into the little cubby over the restroom. We concluded that it was further evidence of the high quality of Budd engineering.
I too am a fan of the Budd Company, but in this case I am not sure they should get the credit for the interior design. I would think that either the CP specified the design, or perhaps the Pullman Company…🤔

Could someone tell me if the Sleeper Plus Manor cars on the Canadian are usually oriented with the open sections toward the front of the train or toward the rear of the train? Is the orientation of the Manor cars on the Canadian fairly consistent or is it unpredictable? Thanks.

Could someone tell me if the Sleeper Plus Manor cars on the Canadian are usually oriented with the open sections toward the front of the train or toward the rear of the train? Is the orientation of the Manor cars on the Canadian fairly consistent or is it unpredictable? Thanks.
I think it’s usually oriented to where berths are towards the front of the car. I don’t follow this route close enough to know if it’s 100% always like that or not.

I think it’s usually oriented to where berths are towards the front of the car. I don’t follow this route close enough to know if it’s 100% always like that or not.
Every time I've been on the Canadian the Sections were towards the Engines.( last time was in 2020)

Completed a round trip on the Canadian departure from Toronto on January 21, night in Vancouver and returning to Toronto on January 26th.

Very nice trip, but not sure I will do a round trip again with only one night in Vancouver. But I might 🙂

The Canadian arrived Vancouver 4 hours late and the return was 2 hours early into Toronto.

As best as I could tell the menu returning to Toronto was the same as the trip to Vancouver.

I had a room for 1 and it was very comfortable.

There was only 1 car of Prestige and it was full on the way to Vancouver. I spent considerable time in the Park Car and always felt welcome there (it is restricted to Prestige only in the peak season until 4pm). One service person seemed a bit overly zealous in pointing out the first 3 rows of the dome were for Prestige only, but other than that no issues.

For those considering a trip in the winter definitely try and go westbound as you lose an hour each already short day going eastbound. But I guess this is no secret as my eastbound trip had noticeably fewer passengers.

Overall a great trip.

Last edited:
Back