Vancouver: What should I do/see

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is something every railfan who visits Vancouver should go see: The Engine 374 Pavilion

From the above link:

The Engine 374 Pavilion is located on the corner of Davie Street and Pacific Boulevard (next to the Roundhouse Community Centre) a 10 minute walk from downtown Vancouver, and a few steps from the Roundhouse – Yaletown Canada Line station......May 23, 1887 was a great day for Vancouver, when CPR Engine 374 pulled the first transcontinental passenger train into the city...

...In 1945, after many years of service, including the Second World War, Engine 374 was finally retired. The engine was first placed in Kitsilano Park for all to see, and play on, but it suffered greatly from salt air and the passage of the seasons. In 1983, many dedicated citizens came to the engine's rescue, and began the herculean task of restoring the engine to its former glory...

...Now after more than 125 years, the engine has found its permanent home. The Engine 374 Pavilion, stands in the heart of the city for all to visit and admire as a valued part of our nation's history.
You can even go into the cab and ring the bell! :wub:

Does anyone have more info on good retail seafood in Vancouver? or places to eat?
For retail seafood I would suggest The Daily Catch Seafood Company which has two locations. One is at 1418 Commercial Drive. They just opened another location on Davie Street in February, which is not listed on their website yet.

On Granville Island I like Finest at Sea (Link to Yelp) for retail seafood.

For Pizza, the best in the city is Via Tevere at 1190 Victoria Drive. The place is packed, so prepare to wait for a table. The owners are really nice folks who care about their customers and will offer small pieces of pizza to those waiting outside for a seat.

From their website:

As first generation Canadians with deep family roots in Naples, we`ve had the privilege of experiencing vera pizza napoletana on a regular basis. At Via Tevere Pizzeria Napoletana, we hope to offer the same to our customers – a true Neapolitan experience.

Another great place to eat is Seasons in the Park. Located in Queen Elizabeth Park and easily accessable via the Skytrain and/or city bus, the restaurant sits among gardens and is perched on cliffs which overlook Vancouver from the highest point within the city. The food is really good too! When done with lunch take a walk over to VanDusen Botanical Garden which is well worth a visit, espeically in the spring when everything is in bloom. One can than catch a frequently running northbound #17 city bus towards downtown on Oak Street when done.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I've just found about Vancouver compared to Seattle is that there's no freeways through the middle of Downtown Vancouver. Good or bad, you decide, but it's probably a good thing, even though Greyhound Canada has to go down 1st Avenue just to get to the TCH.

Back