Typical Canadian consist in mid-April?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The VIA website says that during the off-peak season, Sleeper Plus passengers have access to the Park car at all times. My understanding is that the off-peak season runs from around Oct. 15 to April 15 of the following year. Is that correct?

And if Sleeper Plus passengers have access to the Park car at all times in the off-peak season, are there still seats in the Park dome which are reserved for Prestige passengers year round? Thanks.

I cannot speak to next April but below is a photo (taken at the Jasper station of last Wednesday‘s consist (#1(10/4)). All of the Sleeper Plus sleepers were Manors (including the crew sleeper marked “Not In Service”). Prestige sleepers were Chateaus Dollard and Salaberry. Observation was Prince Albert Park.
Thank you for posting this and it matches with the comments I‘ve received in the meanwhile that a) the Crew Chateau is now a Manor and behind the front Diner, not the back Diner and b) that I confused the line number order of the Manors (which count from-back-to-front in the off-peak and from-front-to-back in the peak). I would therefore expect something like the the following:

F40 locomotive
F40 locomotive
Baggage
Coach #02
(Coach #03)
Skyline
Crew Manor
(Manor 15)
(Manor 14)
(Manor 13)
Manor 12
Manor 11
Manor 10
Skyline
Diner
Prestige Chateau #30
(Prestige Chateau #31)
Prestige Park #39

However, the best place to get a good feeling for what to expect is Groups.io, where you just have to go onto the archive and check the consist reports from a year before (though those won‘t have the line numbers):
https://groups.io/g/Canadian-Passenger-Rail/message/95880

Thank you for posting this and it matches with the comments I‘ve received in the meanwhile that a) the Crew Chateau is now a Manor and behind the front Diner, not the back Diner and b) that I confused the line number order of the Manors (which count from-back-to-front in the off-peak and from-front-to-back in the peak). I would therefore expect something like the the following:

F40 locomotive
F40 locomotive
Baggage
Coach #02
(Coach #03)
Skyline
Crew Manor
(Manor 15)
(Manor 14)
(Manor 13)
Manor 12
Manor 11
Manor 10
Skyline
Diner
Prestige Chateau #30
(Prestige Chateau #31)
Prestige Park #39

However, the best place to get a good feeling for what to expect is Groups.io, where you just have to go onto the archive and check the consist reports from a year before (though those won‘t have the line numbers):
https://groups.io/g/Canadian-Passenger-Rail/message/95880
Not sure if I understand this correctly…

Since my train departs on April 7, prior to April 15 seasonal change, this will likely be the consist?
Do the parentheses mean those cars may or may not be there, based on bookings?
And based on what others experienced, there may or may not be a second (unstaffed) Skyline?

Does that sound right?

Not sure if I understand this correctly…

Since my train departs on April 7, prior to April 15 seasonal change, this will likely be the consist?
Do the parentheses mean those cars may or may not be there, based on bookings?
And based on what others experienced, there may or may not be a second (unstaffed) Skyline?

Does that sound right?
Peak season usually starts around April 30, not April 15 and the additional equipment is added in Vancouver, not Toronto, which means that the consist and numbering should follow off-peak logic (with the number of revenue cars indeed warying according to booking volume).

Below is the line-up from Train 1 which left Toronto on April 12 this year (as per the link from Groups.io I posted):
#6451, 6445, 6452
baggage # 8600
coach # 8102
Skyline # 8512
Burton Manor
Dunsmuir Manor
Grant Manor
Thompson Manor
Laird Manor
Skyline # 8507
diner Empress
Chateau Denonville (prestige)
Glacier Park (prestige)
Blair Manor
If removing the third locomotive and the no longer required buffer car at the end, while adding the car line numbers following the off-peak logic of past years, we get the following:

010 F40
020 F40
030 Baggage
040 Coch #02
050 Skyline
060 Manor (DH, crew)
070 Manor #14
080 Manor #13
090 Manor #11
100 Manor #10
110 Skyline
120 Diner
130 Prestige Chateau #30
140 Prestige Park #39

I’m told that the previous departure (Train 1 of April 9, 2023) had the same line-up, but without Manor #14 and the Skyline before the Diner removed, but I don’t recall any other consist sighting with only one single Skyline, which makes me to believe that was an exception…

And if Sleeper Plus passengers have access to the Park car at all times in the off-peak season, are there still seats in the Park dome which are reserved for Prestige passengers year round? Thanks.
When I rode 6 years ago in the winter, the 1st 2 rows of the dome were reserved for Prestige. I saw a more recent trip report saying that only 1 row was reserved. Guess it depends on the number of Prestige rooms sold.

Does the first row of the Park dome face forward, or is it facing backward, sharing a table with the second row, as in the Skyline dome?

When I rode 6 years ago in the winter, the 1st 2 rows of the dome were reserved for Prestige. I saw a more recent trip report saying that only 1 row was reserved. Guess it depends on the number of Prestige rooms sold.
Thanks. So if that is still the current practice I guess the correct understanding would appear to be that in the off-season, Sleeper Plus passengers have access to the Park car at all times but not to all seats in the Park car dome.

Last edited:
Does the first row of the Park dome face forward, or is it facing backward, sharing a table with the second row, as in the Skyline dome?
Yes, all seats in the Park dome face forward.

But the rearward facing first row in the coach dome worked out great when our Artist On Board was singing in there; she faced the audience. Unfortunately, I don't think VIA Rail has resumed the Artist On Board program after COVID.

Peak season usually starts around April 30, not April 15 and the additional equipment is added in Vancouver, not Toronto, which means that the consist and numbering should follow off-peak logic (with the number of revenue cars indeed varying according to booking volume).
U.S. taxes due April 15th, Cdn taxes due April 30th. Then get some traveling therapy?

Why tables were introduced to domes puzzles me (except for the UP's dome dining cars of course), because domes are for viewing and the best seats are at the front. Last fall at a (NRHS-related) special train outing in AR, I had to try to sit sideways and try to twist my neck to look out at the locomotive and cars ahead. Nobody was using the tables, but half had to stare backward and those facing forward had to look around them as best they could. Happily at least the Park cars remain as they were for decades of wonderful viewing (my only trip was in 1967 from Winnipeg to Vancouver; I had an upper berth and was mostly in the Park car dome).

Why tables were introduced to domes puzzles me (except for the UP's dome dining cars of course), because domes are for viewing and the best seats are at the front. Last fall at a (NRHS-related) special train outing in AR, I had to try to sit sideways and try to twist my neck to look out at the locomotive and cars ahead. Nobody was using the tables, but half had to stare backward and those facing forward had to look around them as best they could. Happily at least the Park cars remain as they were for decades of wonderful viewing (my only trip was in 1967 from Winnipeg to Vancouver; I had an upper berth and was mostly in the Park car dome).
Amtrak had some domes with tables in the 1970's. I think they were ex-Q. They were used for cafe-lounge service on the PDX<>SEA trains.

“WHERE’S THE CAT!!!”

I did a short trip on Via”Ocean” from Halifax, Nova Scotia to Moncton, New Brunswick. This is roughly equivalent to a DownEaster trip from end to end.

Out of Halifax, I was surprised how long the train was after all train number 15 is designated as the “Ocean” and on the next day, I think there were four sleeper, a diner, a business class, two coach and a baggage car. I returned on train number 14. Everything went smoothly got into the train station parking lot but my car died in the parking lot and I had to find a few guys to help push it and I space. By the way the parking lot was totally full and I had to park my car on an end/cap what others have done.

Needless to say, I had a slight adrenaline burst and when it came time to walk the train I got halfway to coach and jumped on a red cap equivalent. I had a bunch of five dollar Canadian bills that I exchanged.at a Innn stayed at. My driver appreciated the tip

Tipping is different from the way. It was the last times I’ve been to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Way back then 20 years ago a one dollar for person was an appropriate tech. Today it looks like most cases they’re looking for 15% or 20% and in some cases 10% or 15%. I gave up figuring out how there’s taxes work - so I won’t bother explaining that BUT you’re really got wallopsd when it comes to buying a meal or paying for a room.

Train 15 was pretty much on time I don’t even remember maybe a few minutes late. However, I did get an alert for both train 15 and 14 to expect possible delays so when I was appreciating downtown Moncton, which was a city way bigger than I expected, it’s about the size of the city of Worcester, Massachusetts. I got an alert an alert for train 14. , I got an alert an alert for a train 14. It was scheduled to arrive at around 1:30 PM and the first alert indicated a two hour delay, and there are several alerts after that, and the train finally arrived at a little past 7 o’clock. Because the train was so delayed there seem to be some confusion and less order orderliness by the via staff, and instead of sleeper class first everybody went at the same time.

“Where’s the Cat?”

Business class by the way, is a coach car and her aisle is 6 inches below. Where are the floor of the seat is. By the way, I have pictures but for some reason that I wasn’t able to post them today, maybe I’ll revise this with pictures. I think people looked a little silly sitting in the seat with their feet above the aisle way.

Once we are underway out of Monkton via staff quickly handed out hot chicken noodle soup and ham and cheese sandwiches plus bottled water.

The trip from Monkton to Halifax went smoothly, but we are nearly 6 hours late. I tried to make hotel reservations from the train for Sunday near my car and everything was ridiculously expensive so i changed plans and do not stay in Halifax and stayed in Peggy’s cove instead.

They delay was caused by terrain movements that caused slowing down on tracks and the hills east of Montreal.

One note about Moncton is that it’s a short drive to Hopewell provincial park famous for its very unusual natural tides sculptures due to 40 foot tides that create sculptures you can visit at low tide. I guess we had a photo if you can imagine an apple core that is about 45 feet tall and has a tree growing out of it. That was one of the sites you can find at Hopewell.

… but “WHERE’S THE CAT?” I happened to hear this from the coach attendant’s walkie talkie who was directly behind me. This was immediately followed by “I’ve got it” and this happened to be a voice right behind me so I was looking coach attendant responding to the request. I take it the request was from the conductor but I am sure that it was the coach attenant in my car THE responded “I’ve got it“

So my whole trip was wondering what that was about. As we got into Halifax, as late as it was, I asked our worry coach attendant and she had to answer which was the cat was supposed to get off in Monkton and didn’t so there was a lot that was sad not on the radio and according to the coach attendant, via spent a lot on getting a cab to bring the cat probably about 60 or 70 miles by cab back to Monkton. I imagine that Via like Amtrak have contractors that are ready and waiting for something like this to happen and probably are contracted to get a decent compensation.

Moncton train 15
10F2BD0D-354D-4D9A-BBB9-67C1802FB6E6.jpeg

Business class with raised floor
B4203DC3-1137-444A-91E3-7CD472091E46.jpeg

Surprise meal
7BD1A6F7-4A3A-4A36-B396-441624C4EA52.jpeg

I skipped staying in Halifax and drove straight to Peggy’s Cove for sunrise
02091883-BA1F-47E2-9815-A805BAD486A8.jpeg

Hopewell provincial park in New Brunswick Canada. Although I didn’t make it down the over 100 steps to the ocean floor they designed the park so you would get a good review from this vantage point. I even took a free shuttle from the parking area. I enjoy the company of the workers staff people that were visitor guides from the platform that I found very photogenic of the natural surroundings. I was told that the stairways cost $800,000 but the improved attendance is paying off and now this park is totally sustainable from government funds. Those that were there I’ve been for years, decades that’s a really wonderful job to have. I was told that the day I arrived was supposed to be a cancellation under old schedules, but now they go straight through October all because of demand. I did look into the possibility of staying an extra day and Martin and they offer excursions on a day trip. The cost of the bus excursion from Via Moncton train station is a little over $100. By the way, you’re only allowed to be on the ocean for during low tide, which is about a 2 to 3 hour. And of course varies from day to day

This final shot was of Peggy’s cove Harbor. It’s changed very much in 50 years when there was virtually no parking and now there are two main parking lots that would easily handle a few hundred cars. I have a 1973 film of Peggy’s cove at Sunset and as a professional it’s in the top 10 or top five of most beautiful things I’ve ever put on film or tape.
77C94093-6D3E-4F8D-97F0-61991B396E11.jpeg2B42EBE9-6C31-4DF7-AA0F-2EA8792A3074.jpeg

Attachments

• 422B0AE9-06F6-42C0-B030-B4BCFB9EB61F.jpeg
    422B0AE9-06F6-42C0-B030-B4BCFB9EB61F.jpeg
    488.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 5C4676A5-3097-49CE-8723-2D122330379B.jpeg
    5C4676A5-3097-49CE-8723-2D122330379B.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back