TX Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a day trip up to Austin from San Antonio yesterday. Even though it was a #422 there were only 3 coaches, 1 sleeper, 1 trans, CCC and lounge. A mob got on in San Antonio, 30 more in San Marcos and 80 more in Austin filled the train! There was a slight delay in SMC when the cops came to take off someone who had created a disturbance already. Breakfast was available in the diner within about an hour. The trip back last night was running about 15 minutes late and got us in shortly after 9pm. Sweet. The train seemed longer even though it ws only #21 but I forgot to count the cars. Dinner was still available in the diner and I heard a 7pm call. We took the eastern line back into town - the same route we took out in the morning, the one that goes by AT&T Center and parallels IH35 for awhile. [This was a first for me - SB always takes the western line in - the one that goes by the airport and the Quarry.] This necessitated a back up into the station. I wonder if that means this morning #22 had to take the western line out because of the direction the train was pointing.

Last week I took #2 to New Orleans for a week. YumYum. I gained 4#. I got to the San Antonio station at 9:30pm; #2 was already there. I printed out my ticket on Quicktrax and just walked onto the train. My roomette was made up for me; I found the attendant and gave him my ticket and went to bed. There was some very slow movement out of the station to somewhere [and back apparently]; I woke up at midnight and we were pulling out. My coach was one that was refurbished a few years ago with reconfigured toilets; everything worked; meals good; on time.

Last edited by a moderator:
:hi: Good day trip! :wub: The Eagles are running full most days, of course that causes High buckets and SOLD OUT sleeprs if you can't book in advance but overall it's good, might help with the Daily train CHI-LAX eventually! Id venture that the movement you felt on #2 during the night was the switching movements made there when the cars for #422 are cut out and switched in the yard there in SAS. The East side entrance/exit has been happening more and more according to the agents when i was through there on #422 last week! Be glad youre not riding today, it's a zoo on the trains due to the mess at the airports! ;)

Good report! :rolleyes: I just wish with all the holiday sell-outs they'd add a few more cars to both the Screaming Eagle and the Sunset. These two have been step children too long as Jim and I both have experienced the not so good times as far as equipment goes. Now, if they run out of beer that's another story. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back