Tuxedo Run

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoozOn1st

Engineer
Honored Member
First of all fear not (or maybe fear - what do I know?): The second verse of "California Zephyr Blues" is COMING SOON to a computer near you.

Think of this as a chorus between verses.

My niece is getting married in October. As a member of the wedding party, I'm expected to sport the same penguin plummage as the other guys. The groom - surely with heavy advice/pressure from the niece - selected a costume for everybody to wear.

All I had to do was go to a Men's Wearhouse ("You're gonna like the way you look. I guarantee it.") to get measured and fitted. Didn't matter which one, since the getup will be picked up at San Diego, where the nuptials are to be held.

There's a Men's Wearhouse nearby in Oxnard, but it's kinda hard to get to for somebody (meaning me) whooz been auto-free since '93.

I learned there's also a MW at Santa Barbara, mere blocks from the train station. So it would be easier, and way more fun, to make a day trip to Santa Barbara to get fitted. Plus, I could rack up some cheap double AGR points (fall promotion).

And finally, I could indulge a major photo phrenzy in the bargain. Y'know, with all the traveling I do elsewhere, it's sometimes easy to forget that there's some pretty cool scenery close to home as well. So this little up-and-back jaunt was an opportunity to not only kinda reconnect with my local surroundings, but share the experience with others, too.

Because the rides were so short, there's really no call for my usual lengthy rants. What we have here is more or less a well-captioned photo essay; a really fun day captured in pixels and comments.

As for the tuxedo fitting, it went fairly well. Kinda nervous about it at first, cuz I hadn't worn a tux since high school. And remember: Eisenhower was president when I was born.

Pretty smooth until the guy looked me up on the computer. "Oh, you're an usher." ""That's news to ME." "They probably just wanted to put something." "Hope so, cuz I don't know how to ush."

Hope you enjoy these views of my little section of the southern California coast:

Tuxedo Run

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all fear not (or maybe fear - what do I know?): The second verse of "California Zephyr Blues" is COMING SOON to a computer near you.
Think of this as a chorus between verses.

My niece is getting married in October. As a member of the wedding party, I'm expected to sport the same penguin plumage as the other guys. The groom - surely with heavy advice/pressure from the niece - selected a costume for everybody to wear.

All I had to do was go to a Men's Wearhouse ("You're gonna like the way you look. I guarantee it.") to get measured and fitted. Didn't matter which one, since the getup will be picked up at San Diego, where the nuptials are to be held.

There's a Men's Wearhouse nearby in Oxnard, but it's kinda hard to get to for somebody (meaning me) whooz been auto-free since '93.

I learned there's also a MW at Santa Barbara, mere blocks from the train station. So it would be easier, and way more fun, to make a day trip to Santa Barbara to get fitted. Plus, I could rack up some cheap double AGR points (fall promotion).

And finally, I could indulge a major photo phrenzy in the bargain. Y'know, with all the traveling I do elsewhere, it's sometimes easy to forget that there's some pretty cool scenery close to home as well. So this little up-and-back jaunt was an opportunity to not only kinda reconnect with my local surroundings, but share the experience with others, too.

Because the rides were so short, there's really no call for my usual lengthy rants. What we have here is more or less a well-captioned photo essay; a really fun day captured in pixels and comments.

As for the tuxedo fitting, it went fairly well. Kinda nervous about it at first, cuz I hadn't worn a tux since high school. And remember: Eisenhower was president when I was born.

Pretty smooth until the guy looked me up on the computer. "Oh, you're an usher." ""That's news to ME." "They probably just wanted to put something." "Hope so, cuz I don't know how to ush."

Hope you enjoy these views of my little section of the southern California coast:

Tuxedo Run
You probably need to wear the Tux to The Get Together. It would look nice with the Fez! :lol:

I thought that was by Ogden Nash????
So did I. I was thinking of the limerick even while taking the pictures, then Googled to make sure I got the words right. Dixon Lanier Merritt was the attribution. I've since checked other sources (used the first that came up for my caption), and they all agree: Merritt. The only thing wrong with the words I used is that it should be "belican," not "belly can." Partly my own fault, cuz I Googled "pelican belly," but you'd think a Mensa site, where my version came from, woulda had it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back