Trip Advice

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gallja02

I posted this question on a simmilar forum, but was hoping to get your opinions as well. You all seem to be very knowledgeable, so I was hoping to ask for some advice. I have been traveling by train for years for pleasure, and have always had a fantastic time. I normally take a summer trip somewhere in the country. This summer I am planning a special trip, as it is the first time my best friend and I will travel together, I normally travel with my father. Since this will be his first experience on a train, and we have been talking about it for a long time, I want to plan things out as well as possible. I am considering the following two options for a combined train/driving/baseball trip and would like to know your advice as to which option would offer the best scenery and best overall trip. I am tentatively planning this for June/July

Option 1: Fly into Chicago on a Saturday morning, board the West Bound Empire Builder that day, spend Saturday and Sunday on the train, arriving into Seattle Monday morning. Spend Monday night in Seattle, seeing the sights. Tuesday morning, board the southbound Coast Starlight, arriving Wednesday night into LA. Spend Wednesday night in LA. On Thursday pick up a rental car and spend Thursday, and Friday driving up the coast highway, through the high desert, catching some minor league baseball and maybe Sequoia National Park on the way. Arrive in Oakland sometime on Saturday and then fly home Sunday

I have done the West Bound Builder before and remember that we reached Glacier national park close to dusk, looking at the schedule my concern is would we miss Glacier if the train is running at all late. Similarly, on the southbound Starlight, would we miss too much of the coast if he train is running at all late, I have done the Starlight northbound.

Option 2: The same itinerary, but the opposite. Fly into Oakland on Saturday, begin driving southbound on Sunday arriving into LA on Monday. Board the Northbound Starlight on Tuesday, arriving Seattle Wednesday night. Board the East Bound Builder Thursday morning, arriving into Chicago Saturday, fly home Sunday.

The advantages here may be the scenery, but the trade-off would be loosing a day in southern California, and loosing seeing Seattle, though we would gain a chance to see Chicago. Also, I don’t want the driving scenery on the Coast Highway to anyway upstage the train for my friend, or more likely for the Starlight and the first part of the Builder to out stage the last part of the train trip.

Option 1 would give us more sight seeing time and allow for the excitement of the scenery to build, but are we risking too much in terms of scenery? Sorry this question is so long. Any thoughts/advice? Also, which side of the train would you recommend? We would be going by a standard bedroom/roomette. Thank you all for your help.

Hi,

It's difficult to predict how late a train would be. If you go in June/July, you should see something of Glacier since the train isn't usually very late. On the other hand, consider the option of the California Zephyr. A great train with lots of good and varied scenery. Besides, it would be new for you too (unless you've done that one too).

If you are going on the Empire Builder, get a roomette. They are much cheaper than on the CZ.

Whatever you do, you should see San Francisco!

Good luck

I think you'll spend your time more efficiently with option 1. If you're not too determined to see Seattle, then take the Builder instead to Portland. You'll have several hours to sightsee in downtown Portland, and gain an extra day to spend in southern California. Also, as someone already suggested, you'll spend less on your accomodations by taking the Builder.

Back