Transporting Damaged Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capltd29

Lead Service Attendant
When an Amtrak train unfortunately derails, how would they move superliner cars or any other type of Amtrak cars to get repaired if they are unable to roll?

For example, if a train derails in the middle of the desert, such was the case when the Sunset was sabotaged several years ago, how would the cars be moved from the scene of the accident to their place of next action?

Jon Parker

Well the boys from Mechanical bring in whatever equipment they need to rerail cars, and repair any damage necessary to get them rolling again. Many times its just a process of getting them back on the rails that has to be done, not so often is the frame so bent it won't roll. From there the cars are taken to the nearest facility for inital repairs that get the cars roadworthy for the trip to Beech Grove. Most initial hospital trains run at about 30 MPH, the facility prepares the cars to move at 79 for that trip to the Grove. Once roadworthy the cars head to the Grove for the big work. But after a derailment not all cars need to go to the Grove. For example the Amfleet II's from the Hinesville wreck went to Sanford with the rest of the train, were cleaned up, repaired, and released from Sanford without going to Bear or Beech Grove. I have some pics from the Hinesville wreck on my site here.

If the car is beyond salvage, totally destroyed and burnt I belieive they just leave the frame in place. There were some photos of a superliner car, atleast the exterior in place desimated. Of course this was in the middle of the dessert where nobody would complain.

Actually the freight owner wouldn't allow it for an extended period of time. Amtrak would have to break out the torches and cut it up on site and remove the metal.

Whereas if it had been a freight that wrecked, they might leave the cars just beyond their rails for months if it wasn't either valuable or hazardous cargo. CSX did that with the coal train wreck at about A782.5 in the Orlando corridor several years ago Thanksgiving. It was an impressive sight, hoppers ripped open like tin cans, right next to the road, half a mile from where I work.

Back