Trains make summer road trips comfortable, environ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you plan to travel this summer, consider taking the train or carpooling instead of flying or driving alone. Road trips with friends are a good time, and although the train is slower than air travel, it's cheaper - not as cheap as driving but definitely more comfortable. Most importantly, trains and carpooling use less fuel to get you to your destination than these other modes of transportation.

I'm dismayed every time I see a huge SUV with the yellow "Support Our Troops" ribbon on the tailgate. A better show of support for our fighting forces in the Middle East would be to stop using so much petroleum in the Midwest so they wouldn't have to be there in the first place. But I'm digressing.

Story

An excellent suggestion. Yes, taking the train can be a little slower and perhaps a little more expensive than driving, but when you consider the cost of gasoline out here in L.A., $2.65/gallon, the difference in prices becomes less & less.

Keep on training.

:D

BNSF_1088 said:
I'm dismayed every time I see a huge SUV with the yellow "Support Our Troops" ribbon on the tailgate. A better show of support for our fighting forces in the Middle East would be to stop using so much petroleum in the Midwest so they wouldn't have to be there in the first place. But I'm digressing.

Story
I do not own a SUV, but I am sure this is offensive to SUV owners. To suggest that people who drive this type of vehicle are unpatriotic or are helping to put our troops in arm's way is absurd. It is also unrelated to Amtrak. :angry:

Chatter163 said:
BNSF_1088 said:

Story
I do not own a SUV, but I am sure this is offensive to SUV owners. To suggest that people who drive this type of vehicle are unpatriotic or are helping to put our troops in arm's way is absurd. It is also unrelated to Amtrak. :angry:
He didn't say that. He's only suggesting that we do our part to cut oil consumption without sacrificing the joys of travel. If everyone did a little something extra to conserve fuel, our dependency on foreign oil would lessen and this could help the US refocus some of our foreign policies. It's only a suggestion.

lepearso said:
Chatter163 said:
BNSF_1088 said:

Story
He didn't say that. He's only suggesting that we do our part to cut oil consumption without sacrificing the joys of travel. If everyone did a little something extra to conserve fuel, our dependency on foreign oil would lessen and this could help the US refocus some of our foreign policies. It's only a suggestion.
Let me also point out that those are not BNSF_1088's words. He was mearly quoting the author who wrote the article.

AlanB said:
Let me also point out that those are not BNSF_1088's words.  He was mearly quoting the author who wrote the article.
If these are not BNSF's words, then he should credit the source or author of his postings and not just post the words. By the way, the technical data cited in the original source is so out of date it is useless.

While it may not have been in the buyer's mind at the time that buying the gas hog vehicle was unpatriotic, it is certainly true that the truly pitiful average gas mileage of the American cars and trucks have, collectively, contributed a great deal to the gas price and supply crisis we are in, and also that they do actually help to finance terrorism simply by the obscene amount of our dollars that are then funneled into the arab countries. I'm sure they not only don't intend to help finance it, and don't ever even think about it, but they do it nonetheless. Amtrak, and rail in general, is an exceedingly cost-effective transportation mode. Unfortunately, rich people and big-business lobbyists don't ride Amtrak, so this administraion has no use for it and wants to kill it. Mandating a substantial increase in fuel economy for American-made vehicles would also cost the manufacturers money, so we won't get that either.

PRR 60 said:
AlanB said:
Let me also point out that those are not BNSF_1088's words.  He was mearly quoting the author who wrote the article.
If these are not BNSF's words, then he should credit the source or author of his postings and not just post the words. By the way, the technical data cited in the original source is so out of date it is useless.
While he didn't specify it here, which he probably should have done, he did nonetheless link to the full article where he did indeed state the source. There is even an email address for the source if one follows the link.

Back