train speed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alex jalil

how long Amtrak takes to cross bridge pontchartrain and what is the speed?

If you are referencing the Crescent, it's more causeway than bridge. It skirts around the eastern side of Lake Ponchartrain. (water is on both side of the train) The actual bridge portion is somewhere around five miles. You have a view of the lake for around 15 minutes of the portion between New Orleans to Slidell. Northbound is in the morning with the best views, although in summer, southbound you will have the setting/near setting sun. As for the western side of the lake that would be the City of New Orleans, you actually have more to look at such a cypress covered in spanish moss and I have also seen more wildlife on this side of the lake. There are actually two lakes that connect here, Lake Ponchartrain and Lake Maurepas. One SCA told me that when we were rounding our way around to New Orleans, that we were on the longest continuous rail curve in the world, and I believe her! :)

ps As far as exact speed of the trains, I'll leave that to those that travel with a GPS. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know the actual speeds, but the crescent line def. Can move when crossing the bridge... There is no noticeably slow speed. I'd say at least 50. Seems to me like I remember seeing 70 on the gps when rounding the lake, but that might not have been on the actual bridge. I also could be remembering that completely wrong.

Of course coming into town (southbound) it is probably common to get some slower signals due to freight traffic ahead.

I also agree with Edgefan, much more scenic view of the lake from the City of New Orleans, lots and lots of wildlife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back