'To go' meals from the dining car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JohnHunter

I'm about to embark on my first ever cross-country train trip - the LSL from New York to Chicago followed by the EB the rest of the way to Seattle. I will be riding in coach on the LSL, and will be in a roomette on the EB. Obviously while in a roomette I want to take advantage of the included meals. However, I'm not sure if I want to eat in the diner for every meal. Would it be possible for me to go to the dining car and have them package my meal to go, as opposed to having the attendant bring it to me? Thanks in advance for your help, I've been enjoying reading this forum while anticipating my trip.

From what I've read on AU (this forum), that should be doable.

Enjoy your trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
During our recent trip on three trains, all three made you go through the Sleeping Car Attendant to get meals in your room. They would not let you order to-go directly from the dining car.

I'm about to embark on my first ever cross-country train trip - the LSL from New York to Chicago followed by the EB the rest of the way to Seattle. I will be riding in coach on the LSL, and will be in a roomette on the EB. Obviously while in a roomette I want to take advantage of the included meals. However, I'm not sure if I want to eat in the diner for every meal. Would it be possible for me to go to the dining car and have them package my meal to go, as opposed to having the attendant bring it to me? Thanks in advance for your help, I've been enjoying reading this forum while anticipating my trip.
Personally I think that enjoying meals in the dining car is an essential part of the train experience. It gets you out and about, you enjoy the comaraderie with other passengers, and the food just tastes better in the dining car. I've actually established some long term relationships with fellow passengers in the dining car on the EB. Try it, you won't regret it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's one of those weird things where there isn't a rule that says that you have to go through the SA, but there isn't a rule that says you don't. If they enforce the SA rule it shouldn't be that much of an issue since you're tipping the SA anyway. I would venture to guess it probably has something to do with the fact that they don't want passengers loitering in the dining car waiting for food, where as the on board crew is loitering there anyway. Just a guess.

Personally I think that enjoying meals in the dining car is an essential part of the train experience. It gets you out and about, you enjoy the comaraderie with other passengers, and the food just tastes better in the dining car. I've actually established some long term relationships with fellow passengers in the dining car on the EB. Try it, you won't regret it.
You make it sound like he said he didn't want to eat ANY meals in the diner. He said he might not want to eat EVERY meal in the diner.

On my last LD trip on the SWC in January I witnessed a successful request of a sleeping car passenger receive a to go lunch. He waited for it in the adjacent sightseer lounge and consumed it there as well.

I'm a quiet person and don't like to eat in the diner so I have the room attendant bring my meals to me. Once in awhile I'll go have breakfast in the dining car but I prefer to eat in my room and I add a server's tip to what I give the attendant. I've noticed that some people that eat in their room leave a tip after each meal-they put it on the tray but I give mine at the end of the trip.

Some room attendants serve all their in-room diners at a specific time and others ask you to ring the call button when you want to eat. Either way works out for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back