The Ocean: Less Motion?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I trade in AGR points for VIA points, just to ride the Ocean "one more time". Meh, maybe I dunna wanna ride the Ren cars after reading, Davy's report
After several trips in a old Budd Chateau (Shake! Rattle! Vibrate!) when they were filling in for the Rens a couple of winters ago.........Ill still take a Ren anyday!
Hmm, but Budds are reportedly the most reliable and cheapest-to-operate cars in VIA Rail's fleet, while the Ren cars are reported and widely-known as lemons. OK, maybe the Budds rattle a lot but maybe it was just that the "filler" consist was sitting in storage and out of shape. Maybe they rattle a bit or vibrate, but downright shaking? How do people make all that smooth filming in Budd cars? Can you descride what it actually felt like to ride in those?

Can you descride what it actually felt like to ride in those?
Shake.....Rattle......Vibrate......One particular offender was Chateau LaSalle. It was in the consist for one winter season then back again the following without much or any improvement.

I have yet to have an uncomfortable ride in a Ren. Perhaps my next ride in a couple of weeks will be one with the seat problem described above but I'm used to the light on all night in the annex so don't really notice it now. It's such a small crack at the door frame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, but Budds are reportedly the most reliable and cheapest-to-operate cars in VIA Rail's fleet, while the Ren cars are reported and widely-known as lemons.
I'd love to know where you got that information. I for one find it hard to believe that cars that require parts to be manufactured from scratch cost less to operate than the newest cars in the fleet.

Hmm, but Budds are reportedly the most reliable and cheapest-to-operate cars in VIA Rail's fleet, while the Ren cars are reported and widely-known as lemons.
I'd love to know where you got that information. I for one find it hard to believe that cars that require parts to be manufactured from scratch cost less to operate than the newest cars in the fleet.
VIA Rail official reports on Budd cars, incidentaly sent to me by NS VIA Fan, attached below unaltered. It's in one of them or possibly multiple ones of them. Not sure which, you'll have to sift through them. But remember, NS VIA Fan said that they are unstable, not that they are expensive to operate. Maybe Chateau LaSalle was just sitting in storage too long and needed some maintainence.

.......................But remember, NS VIA Fan said that they are unstable, not that they are expensive to operate. Maybe Chateau LaSalle was just sitting in storage too long and needed some maintainence.
I did Not say the cars were unstable but did say they shake, rattle and vibrate when compared to the smooth riding Rens. When riding the Canadian last December, I found the folding partion between the bedrooms constantly shaking and very annoying.

.......................But remember, NS VIA Fan said that they are unstable, not that they are expensive to operate. Maybe Chateau LaSalle was just sitting in storage too long and needed some maintainence.
I did Not say the cars were unstable but did say they shake, rattle and vibrate when compared to the smooth riding Rens. When riding the Canadian last December, I found the folding partion between the bedrooms constantly shaking and very annoying.
They need an overhaul for sure. This seems like small mechanical problems, nothing a good fix can't resolve.

The HEP I cars were rebuilt from the ground up in the early1990s including the complete replacement of their electrical and mechanical systems, and the installation of computerized systems monitoring. Although the car bodies date from the 1950s these major systems are actually more up to date than those Amtrak's Superliner I's, which have mostly been refurbished, but without replacing the 1970s electrical and air conditioning

Most but not all of he HEP fleet, including all of the Manors sleepers and diners and most of the Skylines and Park cars, have had a major overall within the last few years, including new décor, but not the upgrading of major systems, except in the diners. The Chateaus and coaches have not been part of the latest rebuilding program.

The Renaissance cars have proved to be more difficult and costly to maintain and operate than anticipated, and are now mostly gone form the corridor. Their are certainly issues with respect to the suitability for operating during the winter and there were costly mandated modifications for accessibility. However, from my experience it is fair to say that they ride better than most North American rolling stock; that is characteristic of British undercarriages. On the other hand the tight loading gauges severely limit the room inside, e.g. in the sleeper corridors, and the fit and finish of the interiors is not particularly suitable for North American operating conditions, e.g. the use of wood panel trim the sleeping car rooms..

In my experience the food in the Renaissance diners is acceptable for pre-catered food. The presentation is excellent, as normally is the service. Some dishes lend themselves to reheating, while others do not, notably omelets. (My worst omelet on a train was on the Montrealer many years ago when the food service had been relegated to a café, and the reheating was in a microwave not a convection oven.)

But given the realities of the cost of on-train catering, the Ocean's meal service isn't too bad. Prior to introducing the Renaissance equipment the diner offered a pretty limited range, though the menu did include a grilled to order steak. It is interesting that the review from the Davie Crockett focuses as much the portion size as it does on the food itself.

In any case the claims made about cook-from-scratch train food is a bit of a red herring. Nowhere (not even on the Canadian) are meals truly made from scratch these days. The best train foods are finished on the grill, which you can't do on a Renaissance diner, Via Business Class car, Acela First Class, or the diner lite on the Cardinal. But the technology preparing food in a central commisionary is such that one should be able to get a decent meal on a train just like one can in a chain restaurant or the front cabin on a plane..

Finally, I am, not at all surprised to hear that the onboard staff is unhappy VIA management these days,. Remember that they were legislated back to work a couple of years ago and there were significant job losses due to the post-2012 cutbacks.

I think the portions of food are equally important as the quality. You can have great food in tiny amounts, and people on the train will still be going hungry. Or you can have disgusting meat patties in huge numbers, but people will get all kinds of sick. Sick passngers and hungry passengers are both very bad for company image, especially when meals are supposed to be included in the fare.

As for the Budds, now I understand why Chateau LaSalle was such a bad sleeper. They should overhaul the Chateaus now, don't have to rebuild them, but just overhaul them. I believe this should stop the rattling.

How do the Budd Coaches perform in service? According to "guest" post 32, they haven't been overhauled either, but since they don't seem as complicated as the Chateaus, maybe they're not too bad. The Chateaus have those staggered rooms which probably increase rattling unless they get overhauled. Do the ex-CP coaches run better or the ex-Amtrak ones?

I just got my copy of the June 2014 issue of Trains magazine. On page 22 is an article entitled "Tides Turn on the 'Ocean'" which very much echos my posts in this thread. For starters, the article states that the service may end as early as July of this year.

The article talks of all the various changes made to the Ocean's schedule to make it "...less relevant to public moblilty...." This is exactly the kind of thing the crew was talking about when they said VIA has "...pretty much done everything it can do to screw over the Ocean."

Writing about the food in the dining car, the author, Bob Johnson writes: "...the menu offered only a few overpriced microwave choices at each meal, including perhaps the worst omelet ever served in a dining car." Hmmm, this sounds familiar from somewhere...

Little optimism is given for a reroute over the NTR:

Facing service challenges... ...on its primary corridor and reduced government funding, VIA management has little incentive to negotiate with CN to reroute the Ocean.

The article has the Canadian Minister of Transport saying that "...VIA Rail, as an independent crown corporation..." was on its own on this matter and that the Feds have no intention of buying the 44 mile section which is proposed to be abandioned.

The article concludes with this:

VIA spokeswoman Mylene Berlanger told TRAINS, "If the section is abandoned, we will look into the commercial viability of all other alternativesfor connecting between Halifax and Montreal before adopting another route.
As I said before, want to ever ride the Ocean? :excl: Do it now. :excl:

...Unless you don't mind riding a bus for at least part of the way. :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Federal Transport Minister Lisa Raitt is scheduled to visit Ridings in northern New Brunswick shortly along the route of the Ocean and there is speculation it will be to announce the retention of the section of track that's subject to abandonment.

She also met with the Mayors in those communities recently and they said they were satisfied with the meeting.

The Minister would probably not visit a Riding to announce the discontinuance of a train especially with a Federal election on the horizon.........just like the Minister’s announcement a couple of weeks ago in Sault Ste Marie regarding the new funding to continue the Algoma Central train the Hearst.

Again.....I'm optimistic the Ocean will survive and more so now along it's current route.

Let's hope so....the loss of the Ocean would be a terrible one... I feel somewhat guilty in making that statement, in that although I visit Halifax every autumn on a cruise, and always enjoy walking over to the station to see the train, if it happens to be there that day, I have not actually supported it by riding it....

But I guess I am like many that take for granted that certain trains are like an 'institution', that 'will always be there'.....

This is another wake-up call to ride it, 'while you can'.....

I am currently booked on the Ocean from Montreal to Halifax on Wednesday, July 16, and returning from Halifax to Montreal on Friday, July 18. I'm optimistic that the train will at least run through July as they let me book a ticket on the Ocean (3 weeks ago) and are still selling tickets for the train in July. I have tickets in Sleeper Plus Class with access to the Park Car. On my email confirmation, it states that VIA Rail guarantees transportation between Halifax and Montreal for my dates booked.

I am currently booked on the Ocean from Montreal to Halifax on Wednesday, July 16, and returning from Halifax to Montreal on Friday, July 18. I'm optimistic that the train will at least run through July as they let me book a ticket on the Ocean (3 weeks ago) and are still selling tickets for the train in July. I have tickets in Sleeper Plus Class with access to the Park Car. On my email confirmation, it states that VIA Rail guarantees transportation between Halifax and Montreal for my dates booked.
Chances are they could put you on a bus or refund your money and still not run afoul of the contract that they wrote.

Chances are they could put you on a bus or refund your money and still not run afoul of the contract that they wrote.
Technically they could, but as of yet, VIA has not contacted me to tell me that the train is no longer running. Until they say otherwise, I'm assuming that I will be on a train.

Technically they could, but as of yet, VIA has not contacted me to tell me that the train is no longer running. Until they say otherwise, I'm assuming that I will be on a train.
As I stated a couple of posts above, I’m quite optimistic about the Ocean. The Minister of Transport is scheduled to visit the riding in northern New Brunswick and I’m sure it’s not going to be to announce the trains discontinuance……she’d do that as far away as possible!

Besides……VIA has recently hired new onboard crews in the Halifax area and has had a set of equipment at the station there for crew training.

As I stated a couple of posts above, I’m quite optimistic about the Ocean. The Minister of Transport is scheduled to visit the riding in northern New Brunswick and I’m sure it’s not going to be to announce the trains discontinuance……she’d do that as far away as possible!

Besides……VIA has recently hired new onboard crews in the Halifax area and has had a set of equipment at the station there for crew training.
That does sound promising.

Curious about them hiring OBS crews based in Halifax....it would seem more logical to have them all Montreal based, so that they could be used on other routes, and if the Ocean did discontinue, the crew's would not be left "high and dry".....

I suppose politics dictate that some of the Ocean's crew be from Nova Scotia.....

That does sound promising.

Curious about them hiring OBS crews based in Halifax....it would seem more logical to have them all Montreal based, so that they could be used on other routes, and if the Ocean did discontinue, the crew's would not be left "high and dry".....

I suppose politics dictate that some of the Ocean's crew be from Nova Scotia.....
[SIZE=11pt]Might have something to do with the tri-weekly schedule and the need to possibly have to lay-over at the away terminal for a couple of days[/SIZE]

Caught #15 at Truro yesterday afternoon with an expanded consist for the Victoria Day holiday weekend.......including an extra Ren Coach, Ren Sleeper and a Chateau just ahead of the Park.

The extra Ren Coach and Ren Sleeper will probably remain in the consist now with additional Ren Sleepers added when Sleeper Plus class begins in mid-June for the summer season.

IMG_2810.JPG

IMG_2817.JPG

IMG_2824.JPG

IMG_2823.JPG

IMG_2827.JPG

Caught #15 at Truro yesterday afternoon with an expanded consist for the Victoria Day holiday weekend.......including an extra Ren Coach, Ren Sleeper and a Chateau just ahead of the Park.

The extra Ren Coach and Ren Sleeper will probably remain in the consist now with additional Ren Sleepers added when Sleeper Plus class begins in mid-June for the summer season.
Great Pics! Thanks for sharing! Now that the uncertainty of whether the The Ocean will be running past July has been cleared up, hopefully ticket sales will do well.

Long Live The Ocean! I hope its around for another 110 years!

Ditto, thanks for the photo's!

It must feel weird passing from those classic Budd cars into the diminutive Ren cars....but probably most passenger's will not notice the difference....

Back