The end is near for the Three Rivers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

battalion51

Engineer
Well as we all know the end is the 7th of March for the Three Rivers. LEt me the first to say goodbye to the train, which was valuable in the CHI-PGH-NYP market. The name and numbers will be reitred, marking the end of an era for the former Broadway Ltd.

battalion51 said:
Well as we all know the end is the 7th of March for the Three Rivers. LEt me the first to say goodbye to the train, which was valuable in the CHI-PGH-NYP market. The name and numbers will be reitred, marking the end of an era for the former Broadway Ltd.
Um, unless you've seen some new recent info that I haven't, only the name is being retired. The numbers will be assigned to the Pennsylvanian according to the last info I saw.

That said; it is indeed sad to see the Three Rivers fade into history. :(

While I understand that equipment is in short supply, the reality is that Amtrak needs to be adding routes and frequencies, not cutting them.

Since the numbers 42, 43, and 44 appeared on this week's Engineer bulletins, and 40 & 41 did not, according to a buddy of mine I'm inclined to believe the numbers are being retired.

As I live in the Pittsburgh, PA. area, I am very sad to hear this. I last rode the Three Rivers to Philly on Oct. 23, 2004 to connect with the "Meatball Express" to Orlando.

The Three Rivers was train 40 and 41. This new (as of yet unnamed train) is numbered 42 and 43. It will have the same schedule as the Three Rivers.

What puzzles me about this new train is that there will be no baggage service. No baggage service from Pittsburgh, Pa. to New York City or in between. Imagine that !!!

Joe P.

battalion51 said:
Since the numbers 42, 43, and 44 appeared on this week's Engineer bulletins, and 40 & 41 did not, according to a buddy of mine I'm inclined to believe the numbers are being retired.
Interesting, I just went and checked Arrow, and indeed they are using 42 & 43. I guess Amtrak changed it's mind again, since up till this point all reports were that they were keeping the 3R's numbers for the Pennsy. In fact I was just reading February's Trains and even they mention keeping the 3R's numbers.

Oh well.

battalion51 said:
So there will be no way to get to Phil. from Chicago except by NY first or a regional from DC? I rode the Broadway Limited in August of 95 and it was so full the conductor said they were deadheading a lounge car and he had it stuffed with people. What were the reasons for the change and was it a Downs deal?

Guest_Midland Valley said:
I rode the Broadway Limited in August of 95 and it was so full the conductor said they were deadheading a lounge car and he had it stuffed with people.  
Aloha

Road the Broadway LTD to Chicage around that time, and It was Packed also, sure glad I had a sleeper with diner reservations. If they keep cutting full trains how can they make money?

Back