Thanks everyone for advice on LA Union Station and taxis

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flowergirl

Train Attendant
I really appreciate all the good advice and suggestions posted in response to my questions about LA Union Station and hotel transportation. We arrived at LA via Coast Starlight last Tues., June 1, on time or maybe 5 minues early. Didn't see any red caps on arrival, but saw signs in tunnels this visit, and we found our way to lobby without any problem. Just as everyone had posted, we found taxis outside on left. I went up to first taxi and asked about fare to our hotel. He gave me a flat rate that I thought was reasonable. Smooth and easy trip to hotel. On return to LA Union on June 3 to board SWC, we saw red caps. Did encounter some confusion about checking in and boarding. Last time we were at LA, four years ago, we checked in at information desk. When I went there to ask about checking in --twice--I was given two different times that announcement would be made. Finally, at about 6:30 p.m. and hearing no announcements, we made our way back to the desk and saw a long line for coach passengers. I asked a red cap going by on a tram where sleeping car passengers were supposed to line up. She said she would take us to train. It was so nice to RIDE through the tunnels. But, I wonder if we would have missed the train if we had continued to wait for announcement that never came. I did notice that lobby looked refurbished since we were last there. Didn't see cracked leather in any of the seats this time. Is Traxx still available only to Starlight sleeping passengers? It's hard to keep up with all the changes. I had read somewhere that parlour car and wine tasting on CS had been made available to coach passengers also. Not on our trip! Only sleeping car passengers could use parlour car, and attend wine tasting. All in all, a great trip. Will post trip report later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back