Superliner Sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Watcher

Lead Service Attendant
I was on the Empire Builder recently when I was looking through the safety card in the coach seat. There were layout diagrams off all the Superliner cars including one with nothing but deluxe bedrooms in it. I've never seen such a thing. Does this kind of equipment even exist?

Amtrak Watcher said:
There were layout diagrams off all the Superliner cars including one with nothing but deluxe bedrooms in it. I've never seen such a thing. Does this kind of equipment even exist?
Yes in fact it does. Amtrak had 6 of these special sleepers built and they are used exclusively on the Auto Train. The Auto Train has a much higher demand for deluxe rooms than most of Amtrak's other routes.

It should be noted that it's only the upper level that is different than a normal Superliner sleeper. The lower level on these six cars is normal and contains 1 family room, 1 handicapped room, and 4 standard rooms just like the rest of the Superliner sleeper's in Amtrak’s fleet.

All the cars were built as part of the Superliner II order. Currently a few of them may still be sitting in Beach Grove thanks to the wreck last spring of the Auto Train. :(

I though there were 1/2 that are out of service, "W. Graham Claytor Jr.", "Palm Beach" and "A. Phillip Randolph". Click here for the Superliner Roster from WebLurkers Dome main. It provides the ones that were wrecked in derailments and their status.

Viewliner, only one of the Deluxe Sleepers is still out of service. Deluxe 32501 "Palm Beach" is the one out of service. While Deluxe Sleepers 32502 "W. Grahm Clayton Jr." and 32503 "A Phillip Randolph" were involved in the wreck, but have since been returned to service.

battalion51 said:
Viewliner, only one of the Deluxe Sleepers is still out of service. Deluxe 32501 "Palm Beach" is the one out of service. While Deluxe Sleepers 32502 "W. Grahm Clayton Jr." and 32503 "A Phillip Randolph" were involved in the wreck, but have since been returned to service.
Oops :eek: My mistake. B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back