Sumitomo/Siemens Contract for 137 Cars (former bi-levels)

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by afigg, Sep 27, 2012.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Mar 12, 2019 #1176

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

Isn't that pretty much what the original contract said? Why would anyone expect anything sooner?

2. Mar 12, 2019 #1177

milest303

m

milest303

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not mad by that, I just wanted to have it clarified. Siemens seems to be much better at delivering on time than Nippon sharyo

3. Apr 20, 2019 at 5:04 PM #1178

Metra Electric Rider

M

Metra Electric Rider

OBS Chief

So any updates on the new cars?

(I have to admit to mystified chuckling at the thread about building new cars on a 20+ year old design)

4. Apr 20, 2019 at 8:14 PM #1179

Ziv

Z

Ziv

OBS Chief

How much better have rail cars in Europe gotten over the past 20 years? I haven't a clue. I have to imagine that the Bright Siemens cars are a few years behind the best of Europe but I have no idea how good Amtraks latest railcars are. Better than 50 year old cars I imagine, though.

5. Apr 20, 2019 at 8:16 PM #1180

PerRock

PerRock

PerRock

Conductor

Well seeing as Siemens is making the same cars for Europe, not that much different.

6. Apr 21, 2019 at 12:05 AM #1181

jis

jis

jis

The Viaggio Comfort design which the Brightline and States orders are based on is a current product being actively built and delivered in Europe today. They are about as current as you can get.

7. Apr 21, 2019 at 1:25 AM #1182

Steve4031

S

Steve4031

Conductor

I just rode the Brightline yesterday. These cars are on par with what is in Europe. The ride was smooth, but FEC has upgraded the tracks with concert ties and welded rail. So cannot do apples to apples comparison with Amtrak cars.

The seats are more comfortable than Amtrak’s coach seating. Better lower back support imho. The windows are large and clean.

The bathrooms on these cars are light years ahead of anything on Amtrak. Every thing is automatic except for lifting and lowering the toilet seat. You push a button to open the door and once inside you push a button to close and lock it. A red light around the button tells you that it is locked. If it is unlocked then the light is green. Once one has completed their business they wave their hand next to a sensor by a green light and the toilet flushes. Works well for both 1and 2. I tried both. At the sink you place your hand under the faucet and the water runs. Then the hand dryer is attached to the faucet so minimal dripped n the floor. The soap also operates hands free too. I wonder how much maintenance this technology needs.

8. Apr 21, 2019 at 1:30 AM #1183

jis

jis

jis

Interestingly, the sinks in the restroom facilities in the stations operate almost exactly the same way too.

Steve4031 likes this.
  9. Apr 21, 2019 at 3:00 PM #1184

Ziv

Z

Ziv

OBS Chief

PerRock, Jis, thanks for the info. I thought that the Bright railcars were iterations of an older design. Good to hear that they are state of the art.
    Are the CAF VL-II's relatively modern iterations of a Spanish design or are they more similar to the older VL-I's? Sorry for the newby questions, I usually ride the Cap Limited and the Builder so I don't know much about the Viewliners.

10. Apr 21, 2019 at 4:06 PM #1185

PerRock

PerRock

PerRock

Conductor

the Viewliners IIs are reinventions of the older Viewliner Is. CAF does make more modern sleeping cars, but they're more in line with BR rolling stock.

Siemens does also make sleeping cars in both bilevel (multi, maybe) & single level layouts for European markets.

peter

11. Apr 21, 2019 at 4:07 PM #1186

jis

jis

jis

VL-IIs have nothing to do with any European, Spanish or CAF design. They are the same as the VL-I design (1980s vintage) with some tweaks here and there. CAF is just a builder of them, and have very low involvement with the basic architecture and design.