Suggestions for Travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new to rail travel in the US. I've been in Europe and Alaska on trains but never on Amtrak.

I'm trying to plan a trip for my family which includes my wife and 2 small children (ages 9 months and 3 years). The main premise of this trip is to give my two year old his wish to travel and spend the night on a train. I can thank the Thomas the Train series for his fascination with trains.

I'm a pilot in the airline industry so getting to or from any of the larger cities is no problem since we can fly for free. What I'm looking for is something that will keep the adults interested as well as the kids. Any recommendations as to some of the more scenic train routes on Amtrak? We hope to get a family bedroom for any overnight trip. I have also verified that we can upgrade to any of the bedrooms when using any of the "Hot Deals" on the Amtrak website.

We have thought about going Williams AZ and then taking the steam engine to the Grand Canyon and staying at one of the park lodges. Any other ideas?

Any suggestions on routes, destinations or traveling with kids would be much appreciated?

Thanks for your input!

Even if it’s the middle of the night and there is nothing to see out the windows, your fellow passengers can keep even the most difficult adult amused. Unlike the situation on the planes, there is enough room separating people to let them get to know each other.

Back