Steamed About Fireworks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoozOn1st

Engineer
Honored Member
Yeah, it's been awhile, and the Tehachapi thing moved to the front burner.

The Santa Fe excursion northbound finally departed San Diego about the time we were due to arrive back at L.A.

Since the train itself hadn't been turned, my car, Coach 8, was now right behind the locomotive, behind 3751, tender, and private dome Silver Lariat.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!

Southbound I was near the end of the train. Northbound, oh man.

All the difference in the world. Whistle action to die for, and the sound and feel of 3751 working? Indescribable, but I'll try.

Don't know how many of you good people have had the opportunity to experience the sensation of a steam locomotive getting under way. The train gets underway smoothly, but there's a pulse, pulse, pulse. And being closer to the front, we could hear it! Grade crossings going north out of San Deigo, so serious whistle action.

By that time I didn't care that we were running hours late. Just happy to be there.

Threading back through the hills northward you could really hear 3751 working. I think steam affcionados call it stack talk. Whatever they might call it, it's an amazing sound. Serious chuffing as the locomotive worked uphill, then quiet while coasting back down.

I don't mind telling you boys and girls that I had tears of joy in my eyes for most of the northbound ride. This is what it's all about. Also thinkiing, "Bill Haithcoat would love this." Yes, my railroad friends are kept in mind when riding.

There's a certain sensation to being pulled by steam, at least when close to the locomotive. Didn't really notice it southbound, when on the end of the train, but pretty pronounced northbound, right behind the engine.

A surging feeling. Not at all uncomfortable, and others noticed it as well. Talked with people around me, more than while southbound, RTabern take note: the guy across the aisle was the guy who wrote the TRAINS article about Surf. Also author of an article about the Erie Lackawanna. John Roskoski. Very cool dude, and very pretty and friendly wife.

Just about the time we were talking, the train went into emergency. We looked each other in the eye and said in unison "That's not good."

Josiah, who I believe works for the UP, looked into it. Determined that it was what he called a UDE. Undetermined emergency. How he determined undetermined I don't know. But he said we went into emergency because of an air dump, which he said is not all that unusual. Sudden decrease in brakeline pressure, train goes into emergency and rolls to a stop. Or something like that.

After determining that things were okay, underway again. But then there was another watering stop, this time at the Coaster shops at Oceanside. No run-by this time, and nobody was allowed off the train. It was at this point that I realized we wouldn't be back to L.A. in time for dinner. Time to get an Amburger.

As darkness fell I dragged out the laptop and started uploading pics; nothing to shoot anymore.

While editing the photos it was pointed out that there was a fireworks display going on off to the right. A local carnival? Nope. Disneykland's usual evening display, right on shcedule at 9:30 p.m.

Disneyland. That means Anaheim. It took almost two more hours to arrive art L.A.

Last edited by a moderator:
well what caused the 2nd emergency stop. did they say. sense no one was allowed off the train it must have been bad. did you hit a car or person

well what caused the 2nd emergency stop. did they say
No 2nd emergency stop. Don't know how KISS ALIVE got that idea. Second stop was for refilling the tender with water.

On a recent trip to D.C. I took a girl to the railroad museum at Baltimore. She wanted to know why the tender of a steam locomotive needs water.

To be heated to make the steam to provide the power to turn the wheels and pull the train.

Nobody was allowed off the train at the northbound watering stop because we were not at a station; no platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back