Starlight Tehachapi Sampler

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoozOn1st

Engineer
Honored Member
Just wanted to get some shots out there right away. I wanna make this a more deliberate deal than my haphazard approach to the steam excursion pictures, so won't post a full album until it's complete, as opposed to the way I just threw up the steam shots and went from there.

In addition, I've not lost sight of the fact that my steam report is incomplete, so working on Tehachapi pics and steam report will proceed together, and when they're done, a Tehachapi trip report.

Starlight Tehachapi Sampler

EDIT: Also unlike the steam thing, for Tehachapi I made a point of taking notes. Not an exhaustive chronology - what a waste of time in the midst of of the natural grandeur and cool rail action; more like key phrases to assist later storytelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite impressive! :)

Wish I could have made it too, but I'm glad didn't try. The SWC (due to the midwest flooding) arrived LAUS 45 minutes AFTER the CS left! :(

One question: One of your captions stated "... from the last coach ..." - was that photo taken from the window? :huh: I thought there were PV on the end.

Wish I could have made it too, but I'm glad didn't try.
Dude, it's a shame you had to miss it, but given the circumstances you clearly made the right decision to cancel when you did.

When I say the last coach, I mean the last AMTRAK coach, as there was indeed PV on the end. And while the Silver Solarium did hamper photography astern (as predicted), it wasn't quite the disaster anticipated. In fact the challenges presented by dealing with the dome actually resulted in some pretty interesting stuff. Instead of whining about the situation, I just dealt with it, y'know? And when shooting forward, the PV was obviously not a factor. The main problem there - aside from the window optical problems - is foliage blocking the view on the inside of curves. One rapidly develops an intense and abiding hatred for trees.

HERE are some other pictures another railfan took. The Amtrak pictures start on page two. I didn't see Whooz anywhere in any of these, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back