spk-pdx-sac-den 6/21-23

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yarrow

Engineer
far ne washington state, 1/2 mile from canada
yarrow, jj and i called ken at the spokane station at 1 a.m. and ken told us the eb would depart 15 minutes late at 3a.m. we got to the station and duane(our other agent)told us the eb would get into spokane around 3:15 and we would depart about 4. at 4 he announced the eb would be in at 4:15 and we would leave about 5 a.m. which is what happened. we got to our bedroom and the seats were made up as beds. we just put them back in daytime configuration and enjoyed some rare daylight mileage to pasco.

the trip along the columbia and through the gorge was beautiful as usual and we got to pdx a little after noon. we took a quick scurry to powell's bookstore then back to the metropolitan lounge to relax a bit in comfort before the cs. yarrow and i peered out the window as it rolled in and were gratified to see the willamette valley ppc.

we spent most of our time in the ppc other than dinner which we chose to eat in the dining car rather than the ppc. the meal was delicious, hot and nicely presented. there were several railfans on board for the trip over tehachapi pass next day and we were fortunate that one of them was very knowledgeable about the great coyote mtn slide and was able to share his incredible wealth of information as he gave us a guided tour climbing the west side of the cacades and over the pass.

next morning we were due in sac about 6:30 and were maybe 10 minutes behind schedule. we and 3 others dashed into the diner for a quick breakfast when it opened at 6:30. we ended up getting our meals to go and dashed off the train to eat in the station. our server gave us each a real steel amtrak fork to take with us to eat with as a souvenier.

the sacramento station is a nice one in good shape. we had a couple hours to wander and went through old sacramento and the area of the california state railroad museum. everything was closed on sunday at 7 in the morning but there were many outdoor displays and refurbished and recreated buildings so it was very enjoyable. i would sure like to see the inside of that museum some day.

the cz was a few minutes late but we settled quickly into our bedroom. the sleeper was quite newly refurbished and very nice. we had never had a bedroom before, only roomettes or a family bedroom, and i am convinced the bedroom is the way to go if possible.

the crew on all 3 trains were very nice but especially on the zephyr where they were operating under difficult conditions due to the flood. the cz, from sac to den, is hands down the most scenic route we have taken(i never thought i, devoted to the noble eb as i am, would say that). we began by climbing into the high sierras. beautiful mountains, lakes and huge ponderosa pines. beauty and history around every bend.

once in nevada i was prepared for much less beautiful views and until we got past reno it wasn't very spectacular. but once we began to follow the humbolt river the views of the alkali flats, green meadows and winding river bordered on both side by desert mountains were magnificent.

next morning we got up just after we started to climb up the colorado plateau into the part of utah called castle country. it just kept getting prettier and prettier the farther we went. immense and weird cliffs and rock formations. once past green river we began our 250 mile journey along the colorado through wonderful canyons where the river was so rapid it was almost a continuous waterfall and through broad valleys where the river slowed somewhat and the views were wide. it is this part of the trip that sets the zephyr apart in my view.

the first major canyon was ruby canyon. towering red sandstone walls with only room for the river and the train track. glenwood canyon, the most famous, was next and just went on and on. it was time for lunch and we are usually jophnny on the spot in the dining car. not that day. we got lunch but only after the canyon. then back to our room for gore and byers canyons.

went through the moffat tunnel at 9,000 ft and crossed the continental divide. then a beautiful looping descent through 20-some tunnels down into denver with views of the mountains and great plains like coming in on an airplane. arrived at denver's historic union station right on time.

i get irritated with amtrak pretty regularly but this wonderful journey made up for a lot and built up some credit i will allow amtrak for bonheaded things they do in the future.

Glad you enjoyed the trip. We have decided that the CZ is now a slight bit ahead of the EB for scenery but both are fantastic in their own way. The Columbia River Gorge is an event in itself and as you noted, the CZ trip over Sierra Nevadas and Rockies is great as well. We enjoyed our CS trip from LAX to PDX the first week of June and although we did not have a PPC, there were two lounge cars on the train for each class of passenger. Our first trip to Seattle on the Cascades was much fun too. Want to spend some extra days in Seattle on our next trip to Washington.

Hope this trip will remain as a positive memory of Amtrak for you and add to your expectations of future trips.

And now its time to get ready for the next voyage on the CONO and Crescent. :p

Glad your trip went well and that it made up for some of your past troubles. When I went to Seattle on the 18th, we were about an hour and 15 minutes late in departing, as we left at 3:30 AM. I looked at that as a rare opportunity, too, to see scenery not usually seen during daylight hours.

I'm flying to Illinois in October and will be taking the CZ from Chicago to Sacramento and then flying back to Spokane. Hopefully by THEN the flooding issues in the Midwest will be resolved!

Glad your trip went well and that it made up for some of your past troubles. When I went to Seattle on the 18th, we were about an hour and 15 minutes late in departing, as we left at 3:30 AM. I looked at that as a rare opportunity, too, to see scenery not usually seen during daylight hours.
I'm flying to Illinois in October and will be taking the CZ from Chicago to Sacramento and then flying back to Spokane. Hopefully by THEN the flooding issues in the Midwest will be resolved!
JayPea, we picked up a great route guide for the cz at a shop in the station at grand junction, co. a little pricey but you might want to look into them. 3 volumes(1-chicago to denver $12.50, 2-denver to salt lake $11.50, 3-salt lake to sf $15.50). each is book length and great to follow on the train and read again at home. free shipping by mail from flashing yellow guidebooks, po box 3533, evergreen, co. 80437. anyway, the cz is a great trip. bring the camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back