Southwestern Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caravanman

Engineer
A supplementary question to my throughway one..I have not yet ridden the SWC, I am considering joining the train at Raton NM, and journeying to LA. Would I miss any "must see" sights between Chicago and Raton, or do I get most of the best scenery on my proposed section?

Ed B)

You will miss Raton Pass and the tunnel with some good views of the Sange de Christo's but the best is yet to come so enjoy. They used to bus down to Trinidad so you could have done the pass.

Thanks for that info, I just checked the possibility of joining at Trinidad, but the bus from Denver arrives slightly too late to make the westbound connection! (there's nothing like an integrated transport system, as we say in Europe!)

Ed B)

The most scenery in the mountains area would be between Las Vegas, NM and Lamy, NM. I've only ride as far as Las Vegas to the east. You will riding through Sangres de Cristo mountains with a great view! Plus, you'll have a chance to look at ancient semaphores which are still actively working.

Any Idea when the semaphores will be changed out, or will they? They are so neat to see. I remember yers ago being in a sleeper, which must have been just at the right spot in the train, we got to see them drop every time we passed them.

I don't think that it'll phase out within the few years. There was an article about BNSF Raton Pass on Trains magazine which I think it's either Oct. or Nov. 2005.

That line is still hanging on the thread. Tracks were suddenly useless when the coal mine closed few years ago. This time, the track is being lightly used as a empty cargo freight to relieve the congested Belen subdivision.

I read elsewhere that Amtrak is pretty much the only reason that BNSF hasn't attempted to abandon the line.

There is a multi-page spread in Trains magazine the past month covering Raton Pass.

Besides the one Amtrak, BNSF is using the line as a sort of 'safety valve' for the high capacity on the Belen cutoff. Sounds like its mostly lighter 'emptys' that would not need helpers to go over the pass.

However, there are some Belen capacity expansion projects that may reduce the need for the option in the future.

Regarding scenery,

I really like the run-up to Raton starting from La Junta. The train follows a high plains river route into Trinidad with the mountains in the background. So by the time you start crossing Raton, you're all settled in to enjoy the pass.

Beyond that, there are some nice canyons and wonderful views between Lamy and Las Vegas, the run into Albuquerque, then the late afternoon views of the Mesas near Gallup NM. While not the grandeur of the Zephyr's day run through Colorado, it certainly ranks up their in my mind as a great train route.

Does the Indian councils still provide a guide between Albuquerque and Winslow?

I should have spotted this earlier...

Burlington Northern to sell New Mexico rail line

Click for Reuters News link

SAN FRANCISCO, Nov 28 (Reuters) - The BNSF Railway Co. unit of Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corp. (BNI.N: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Monday it reached an agreement with the New Mexico Department of Transportation to sell a 300-mile rail line to the state for $76 million to create a commuter rail line.
The sale of the line between Belen, Mexico, and Trinidad, Colorado, will be closed in segments, and BNSF will keep on-going freight easement rights on the line, the railroad said.
Specifically, this would include Trinidad on past Albuquerque, including the Raton Pass section, travelled by the Southwest Chief.

-- Arkarch

Yes, it just becomes official last week.

The commuter Rail Runner should be up and running in early 2006 from just north of ABQ to Belen. In 2008 or a year later, it will run all the way to Santa Fe. However, the specific route to Santa Fe is still in planning stage because the current line is in awkward position which Lamy is located south of Santa Fe, and then run on a spur, owned by Southern Santa Fe, to Santa Fe.

For more details, here's the link to Rail Runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back