Southwest Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just came back from a trip on the CZ and already I'm planning my next long distance train trip (hopefully Amtrak will still be around). I'm thinking of taking the Southwest Chief to Los Angeles (I live in N.O. and it would be easier to take the Sunset Ltd. and I've read too many horror stories about that). I'm looking at taking the City of N.O. to Chicago and then connecting to the Southwest Chief.

Has anyone had any exerience with this train? I know all long distance trains run late but how late, generally, does the Chief run?

Carol

As AmtrakFan stated, the Southwest Chief actually runs On Time most of the time and arrives into Los Angeles Union Station 45 minutes to 1 hour early on most days (due to some extra padding at the end of the run). It is rarely late into Los Angeles.

The Sunset Limited has actually been performing much better recently since the March 8, 2005 schedule changes were implemented. You might want to try taking the CONO Train to Chicago, Chief to Los Angeles, and then the Sunset Ltd. back to New Orleans for a variety of scenery.

I like JC's plan. The Southwest Chief does well due to its run on the BNSF Transcon, and BNSF does the best job among Class I's in keeping Amtrak on time. But with the Sunset's new schedule it has been doing better, so that's something to consider.

Plus there's this new performance bonus plan that Amtrak has implimented with 4 of the major freight RR's. I don't know which 4, as the plan doesn't spell that out.

My family and I rode the S.W. Chief eastbound from Los Angeles to Galesburg, Illinois just this past March...had a wonderful trip...and arrived EXACTLY on time. Tremendous service along the way, we couldn't have asked for a better time!

I just rode the SW Chief yesterday from LAX to Albuquerque. We arrived early into several stops and had to wait. Now they have that part of the timetable updated and now (as of today) it will run earlier into ABQ. Have fun on the trip.

Chris

It is my understanding that there is no 90mph on the SW Chief now. Does anyone know just from where to where it did run 90 back before the Burlington had it reduced. I know it ran 90 west of Newton at least into Colorado.

Midland Valley said:
It is my understanding that there is no 90mph on the SW Chief now.  Does anyone know just from where to where it did run 90 back before the Burlington had it reduced.  I know it ran 90 west of Newton at least into Colorado.
No, not on entire route. Some areas have been downgraded to 79 mph due to rough track. I checked with my GPS last December and most of the way are at 90 mph between LAX and ABQ (mostly in AZ and NM). Some areas are 79 mph where the rough tracks are.

Some areas are 79 mph where the rough tracks are.
Why 79? Why not 75 or 80? Seems like a strange figure. Are the engine speed indicators that sensitive they can set it right on 79?

Just curious.

MrFSS said:
Some areas are 79 mph where the rough tracks are.
Why 79? Why not 75 or 80? Seems like a strange figure. Are the engine speed indicators that sensitive they can set it right on 79?

Just curious.
79 MPH, is the maximum speed limit under FRA rules and regulations that a train can operate without having Positive Train Control (PTC). PTC can stop a train if the engineer is going over the speed limit for that track area or runs a stop signal.

Most track within the US, does not have PTC. Exceptions that I know of are the NEC, part of the Michigan area, part of the Empire corridor, some of the Chief's run, and part of the run from Chicago to St. Louis. But otherwise, again most track in the US does not have PTC.

As to why the FRA choose 79, I guess because it wasn't 80 mph. Just like all of our prices have .99 in them cause it sounds cheaper than rounding it up. But who knows.

The sufline corridor has some 90mph running too. 79mph, is basically getting closest to the max speed with out going over. FRA says all trains running over 80mph must have ats or a ptc type signal system.

Thanks all.

JC, that does sound like a good idea. I'm planning that trip for early next year. Hope Amtrak is still alive and kicking at that time.

Carol

Back