Southbound NEC service is a little scarce in the morning hours.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to be attending the TRB conference in Washington for the next few days, and I went to the Amtrak website get tickets. I have a workshop that starts tomorrow at 9 AM, but the earliest I can get into Washington is at 9:23 on the Palmetto. But that's earlier than the earliest MARC train on a Sunday morning, which gets into DC at 9:55. What happened to all the other morning trains they used to run? They're not even showing #67, let alone anything between that time and 8:52, which is the Palmetto. I looked at the schedules for Monday through Wednesday, and 67 isn't running, and the Palmetto is the first train south on all of the days. Fortunately, there's a MARC train at 6:15 that will get me into DC by 7, enough time to get breakfast and get to the meetings by the 8 AM starting time. I did check the schedules for next week, and 67 is running, so what happened to it this week? However, there's still nothing running south from New York after 67 until the Palmetto. At least that's what I'm getting from the booking engine on the app and also the website.

Things are also a bit thin on the ground for the ride home. I wanted ride the 6:10 or 7:05 regional home, but it looks like the 7:05 isn't running. If I miss the 6:10, I'm stuck with the Palmetto that leaves at 7:57, assuming that CSX doesn't screw them over and have them arrive really late. I can't even rely on 66, as it shows up as "cancelled." At least on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, there's an Acela at 7:00, but 66 is cancelled through Thursday the 13th. At least there are some MARC trains that fill the gaps, but I'm surprised how scarce the trains are in the morning and evening hours.

I agree with it possibly being staffing issues due to COVID.
The morning trains have been sparse since they cut back in 2020. I usually have to take 89 for my doctor appts in Baltimore. I was lucky the last time, end of Dec, that the weather was nice enough for me to stroll down to the inner harbor before catching the metro to JHH. I really didn’t want to hang out in The hospital outpatient area for an extended time.
Booking my return trip is also tricky with the fewer trains.

Back