Sleeper Location

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith1951

Service Attendant
I was just wondering if their is a way to know where my BR sleeper is located in relation to the rest of the train? Am I in front or back of train, am I near the dining car or near the coach cars? We will be in car #531 room D on the California Zephyr from CHI to EMY. I dont know if they keep the cars in the same place or if they change them around on different trips. Im sure their are Amtrak railfans who know so much that they may be able to tell me something. Thank you.

531 will be first car forward of the dining car. On most trains, that would be the 30 car, but the Zephyr doesn't run a 30 car (except a ghost 30 in the reservation system that caused no end of problems earlier this summer).

Most Superliner trains run sleepers-diner-lounge(if running a lounge)-coaches. The exceptions are the trains that split like the Empire Builder that runs Seattle sleepers-Seattle diner-Seattle coach(es)-Portland lounge-Portland coaches-Portland sleeper.

Historically 530/630 was the seasonal Denver drop car and was usually the last car of the train. Then for a while it became the seasonal through car again at the tail of the train. I had traveled in it several times in that period including one time on an OTOL or AU Gathering trip.

And now in these days of austere consists it is a ghost car. The institutional memory of what it is was apparently lost among the green new crew running the reservation system, the original crew having entirely been gotten rid of voluntarily or otherwise) who assumed that it was like any other x30 car and screwed up royally.

Back