Sleeper-Coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rile42

Lead Service Attendant
I am considering a trip on the Southwest Chief to Arizona from Chicago. I'd like to use a roomette for the first part of the trip only. I have seen posters suggest that strategy on here before. I've never done it myself. I either use the sleeper for an entire trip or coach for the entire trip. I'd like to know from someone whose done it what the logistics are. For example, do you detrain from the sleeper at some stop and then reboard one of the coaches so as not to drag luggage throught the diner? Any help is appreciated.

I have upgrade from coach to sleeper when onboard the SW Chief once. As a courtesy to the dining room patrons and staff I simply waited until they closed for the evening (I had upgrade right after getting on #4 in L.A.) and then moved my baggage from the coach to the sleepr. As long as the dining room is closed down between meals (such as between breakfast and lunch in your case) they won't mind if you need to move your baggage through. It will save the train crew time that would otherwise be wasted at a station stop.

Back