Raritan Valley Line

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me open with the following statement. This trip report again contains the thoughts and actions as they happened. However, to avoid doubling back this report is being written at midnight the night after the ride as a reflection to avoid the jumping around my TRs usually have so bear with my experiment.

So what will we be discussing in this report? Excellent Question! This report will contain exciting rail action on New Jersey Transit Northeast Corridor Line, Newark Light Rail System, and the Raritan Valley Line.

So lets begin with my morning and visit to my most frequented station. Metropark located right off the Garden State Parkway. Right along the NEC. After parking in the garage at the station and talking to the NJT ticket agent there since I was unsure of how to get the transfer to Newark Penn Station on my ticket; I was able to get my tickets High Bridge for just 15 bucks. Perfect!.

I was planning on taking the 8:07 AM train out of Metropark giving me sometime to see a little Amtrak Action. I was only there for a few minutes and I got to see the Cardinal, a double head AEM-7 regional and then another regional. Just missed seeing Acela 2150. Anyway, my mom decided to join me on this run to "try and understand why you think this is fun." So she said lets see if this train that pulled up earlier then the train I was planning on goes to Newark. I smiled and said every train on this track is going to Newark, so she said lets get on it then. I have no idea what this train was and where it was heading but it skipped every other stop and we went straight to Newark so I guess that worked out well.

We arrived at Newark at 7:53 A.M. for what I thought was going to be a 9:06 A.M. train to high bridge. So after getting some coffee I unfolded the time table and realized that the 9:06 doesn't go all the way to high bridge it was the 10:06 that did so that was my error. I suggested we could blow some time riding the Light Rail there at Newark and thats what we did.

We walked down a flight of stairs to the Newark Penn Light Rail Station. Purchased one way Zone 1 tickets and waited for the next train. It was there with in 2 minutes and we boarded. It was a quiet uneventful ride although it was fun and well its something I can now check off my rail list as I am currently working on try to knock out all of NJT rail lines. We bought another set of one way tickets at the end of the line and rode the extension to Broad Street and then back to Newark Penn. So there it is. The cars are quite nice with Automated messages and a message from the Mayor of Newark. It was a nice system and I felt safe the entire time.

So now were back at Newark Penn with about 20 minutes until we have to head out for our train to High Bridge. So I suggested we go wait outside so I could see some Amtrak trains come through. Man rush hour is a zoo at Newark. It felt like every 6 minutes every track had a new train coming through. So it was a pretty enjoyable wait. The train pulled up about 15 minutes before departure and the doors slid open and we sat down inside. It was a 6 car train set of NJT new bilevel equipment. So we took seats on the top level to enjoy the sights better.

We pulled out of Newark right on the money. We ran well the whole way there. As we got further and further down the line the stations got more and more well I guess I should say less and less. the station at lebanon was nothing more then a bus shelter and a newspaper box. One station was a bus shelter that shared its parking lot with the local library. It was still a very nice ride. There was some scenery but a lot of industrial complexes along the line. The real shock came at Lebanon where they had on sidings next to the station some really old beat up rail equipment. They had an old GG-1 which was hard to recognize as it had no paint job I just knew the shape. They had an old New York Central Pullman car. Many great old rail cars I hope they get restored.

We arrived into High Bridge 20 minutes early!! I guess the schedule was padded since north of Raritan we were sharing a two track main with a freight railroad although I'm not sure which. (If your reading this and you know if you would be so kind as to leave the details below :) thanks) So yeah I was pleasantly suppressed to be that early aboard a train.

The town of High Bridge was something that I don't know I guess you could say it enchanted me. The train drops you right on Main Street. So there were some great little places there. Went into a local coffee shop first since they advertised they had sandwiches but turned out they didn't so they suggested a pizza place just a few stores down. Michael's Pizza. Great little place with a pretty good slice. Mike runs the place himself and is very friendly. Had a nice seating area. A great place to kill time waiting for the return train. Also there was a Cafe Hola. I didn't stop in there but looked pleasant enough. Practically in the train station you can't miss it. I loved High Bridge and if it wasn't so could and if it didn't start snowing I would love to spend more time there.

The conductor saw me and my mom waiting for the train about 20 minutes before it was scheduled to leave, and was nice enough to open a door so we could sit in the train. He was surprised to see us going back so soon, but was nice about it. So anyway we rolled out of High Bridge with a whopping 3 passengers including me and my mom. Thought about asking for a cab ride since it was so empty, and we were in the first car. I decided not to and we rolled on. We had some serious wheel slip issues since it had started snowing. The engineer was not thrilled about that. The train had a total of 9 people before we got to Raritan which I guess is why most trains don't go all the way to High Bridge.

Then we started have mechanical issues. Luckily, the cab door was open so I could hear him on the radio saying that once we got passed 5 miles an hour the engine quit on us. After a few tries to get moving something must have reset and we are on our way again. It happened to us again after leaving the next station. Must have had to do with coming to a complete stop. Anyway, I sat on the other side for the ride back to see more. The left side out of Newark (right side out of High Bridge/Raritan) is way better there was less industry more nature. Which with the snow now coating the trees made for a great ride. Arrived in Newark 10 minutes late do to the issues with the engine. I didn't mind at all, since this was starting to put a wrap on the riding for the day. :(

We had about 20 minutes before a train that stopped in Metropark which I spent stopping by the NJT Customer Service Center picking up a couple of time tables for the lines I need to ride to finish the system. Then headed up to the platform and watched a few trains go by. Saw an Acela 2121 if memory services and a regional don't quote me but i think it was 831.

The ride from Newark Penn was perfect. It was on the bilevel equipment which makes it my third time on it so I choose for this portion to sit on the bottom level. It was to me smoother but again you can't see as much. When we got to Rahway I realized something that will save me a lot of time and some money to. I could transfer in Rahway from the Coast Line to the Northeast Corridor Line. Which means I could get to Philly much easier. For some reason I figured I had to go to Secaucus to change. So this was something good to figure out. We were on time into Metropark and that was that. Drove home and slept for a few hours.

Conclusion: I loved it there was something great about High Bridge.

The Newark Light Rail was a really nice system.

Can't wait to ride something anytime.

Disclaimer: No proof reading was done just a spell check.

Sorry there is no Amtrak involved.

Also, no pictures :( I thought I had my camera in my jacket pocket, but I didn't.

Thanks for reading.

So now were back at Newark Penn with about 20 minutes until we have to head out for our train to High Bridge. So I suggested we go wait outside so I could see some Amtrak trains come through. Man rush hour is a zoo at Newark. It felt like every 6 minutes every track had a new train coming through.
And consider that this wasn't a true rush hour as all schools are on break, and many people do get the Christmas-New Years week off. Try that sometime when those factors aren't in place and you'll see even more people coming and going.

And that's fine as this isn't a forum for just Amtrak trips, it's for any type of train trip. :)

So now were back at Newark Penn with about 20 minutes until we have to head out for our train to High Bridge. So I suggested we go wait outside so I could see some Amtrak trains come through. Man rush hour is a zoo at Newark. It felt like every 6 minutes every track had a new train coming through.
And consider that this wasn't a true rush hour as all schools are on break, and many people do get the Christmas-New Years week off. Try that sometime when those factors aren't in place and you'll see even more people coming and going

And that's fine as this isn't a forum for just Amtrak trips, it's for any type of train trip. :)
I couldn't even begin to imagine and with the plans to "double the number of rush over trains into New York I think stations will need to expand to deal with that personally. As all five tracks at Newark are jammed to capacity all morning doubling it would seem to need almost double the platforms.

yeah, a fellow member is nagging me to write better TRs (In a nice way) so I write them for trips like this to get better for the next trip report.

EDIT: messed up the quotes fixed tho :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back