Quiet cars still on NEC?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Bob

Does anyone know if Amtrak is still running a quiet car (no cell phones, no radios, no loud talking) on the Northeast Corridor these days? They had them on the Acela, are they on the replacements? I'm especially interested in train 2168, the Metroliner that stops in NWK at 16:34 on its way to BOS. I LOVE thos quiet cars, even in preference to first class (which they are also cheaper). Thanx.

Bob

Bob,

I haven't heard that they've been discontinued, and when I shot up to Boston from NY about 3 weeks ago on a Metroliner there was a quiet car on that train.

Actually the quiet cars on Acela are dead silent.

I do believe the Quiet Car program is still in full force, since it's gotten rave reviews from people all across the country. I don't know if they have it in the Midwest, but if they don't they should. Another consideration would be for Auto Train, be able to reserve the quiet car, no kids, no cells, no drunkedness (not to say you can't have a drink, but no fall down drunks).

battalion51 said:
I don't know if they have it in the Midwest, but if they don't they should.

No we dont have it here in the Midwest. I don't think Amtrak has a large enough consist on at least the DET-CHI trains for this to work, especially on weekends. Many times trains are sold out or almost sold out on Fridays and Sundays where the added car space is at a premium. I would rather see Amtrak put a B/C car on all 3 of the DET-CHI runs instead of the current 2.

Anybody on the train can visit the Quiet Car at anytime. I think Amtrak should charge an extra fare to have a reserved seat in the quiet car. Maybe 1/2 the price of a B/C seat. So if a B/C seat cost an additional $30, then charge $15 for a quiet car seat. More $$ for Amtrak B)

I took 176 to BOS on Monday; it did not have a quiet car. Today's #137 departing BOS did have one.

I believe that if the Conductor sees fit to, he can remove the Quiet Car in the case of sold out trains due to the fact that everyone needs to be seated if possible.

battalion51 said:
I believe that if the Conductor sees fit to, he can remove the Quiet Car in the case of sold out trains due to the fact that everyone needs to be seated if possible.
I'm not sure if it's the conductors decision or someone elses, but otherwise you are correct. If the train is sold out or very, very close, they will suspend the quiet car. Especially on weekends.

amtrakmichigan said:
I think Amtrak should charge an extra fare to have a reserved seat in the quiet car. Maybe 1/2 the price of a B/C seat. So if a B/C seat cost an additional $30, then charge $15 for a quiet car seat. More $$ for Amtrak B)
Why not charge extra fare for those who are in non-quiet cars (noisy cars)? It doesn't seem right to charge people extra just for wanting a quiet trip.

Back