Pullman Rail Journeys online booking site errors

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickIronton

Train Attendant
Before I address the Pullman booking site, let me recommend Shortline's excellent review of his journey on Pullman at the Amtrak Unlimited travelogue site.
If you are booking Pullman, please, contact their "800" number rather than the online booking site.
I just talked to Pullman 800 and what is listed on their southbound rate reduction is really a northbound rate reduction for specific dates.
My advise is to sign up for Pullman's newsletter and keep abreast of any specials and then call the "800" number.
I haven't been on Pullman yet but I keep checking for dates that will work for me.
The "cocktails included" is enticing and Bloody Mary's in the morning sounds like a good start to a fun train adventure according to Shortline.

Rick

I had problems with the website determining what dates the trips operate. I also had trouble switching the departure city from Chicago to departing from New Orleans.

If I wasn't a railfan and I wanted to go northbound, I'd be turned off!

The Pullman website shows $780 from Chicago to New Orleans. For the same dates on the Amtrak website (for the same roomette) it shows $531. Why is the Pullman website so much more?

The Pullman service is a completely separate operation/separate company that attaches its cars behind a regular Amtrak train (in this case, the City of New Orleans). Pullman's prices are determined independently of Amtrak's prices.

ETA: So, the prices are different because they are different products, not the same product available through two different websites. (I hope that makes sense.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pullman website shows $780 from Chicago to New Orleans. For the same dates on the Amtrak website (for the same roomette) it shows $531. Why is the Pullman website so much more?
Because it's a vastly superior product.
It's not for the same roomette. Its for a private car with better meals, better service and free booze. Look at their website a little more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really excited about this option and just looked all around their website. I'm guessing this has not been launched yet since the dates for service aren't until late June? Can't wait to hear from an actual passenger who travels this route. So, does "Pullman" have their own dining car, observation car, and sleeper car? So, I'm envisioning 3 cars for Pullman passengers ONLY being pulled behind the Amtrak cars....correct? Amtrak customers and Pullman customers will not be mixed. Correct? I didn't see any "coach" availability either. Just sleepers?

I'm really excited about this option and just looked all around their website. I'm guessing this has not been launched yet since the dates for service aren't until late June? Can't wait to hear from an actual passenger who travels this route. So, does "Pullman" have their own dining car, observation car, and sleeper car? So, I'm envisioning 3 cars for Pullman passengers ONLY being pulled behind the Amtrak cars....correct? Amtrak customers and Pullman customers will not be mixed. Correct? I didn't see any "coach" availability either. Just sleepers?
It started sometime last year-I think they run one round trip per week. Sleepers only. Consist depends on the passenger load, and what cars are available. Sometimes they have a dining car, observation car, and a sleeper or two. Sometimes the dining car is a full dome diner. Sometimes they have just a sleeper and observation car, with dining at a table in the obs car I undertand. When I took it last month, we had a round end sleeper/observation lounge car, 2 sleepers, and an ex NYC diner, all were fantastically restored. Because they are single level cars, and the City of New Orleans are superliners, there is no passage between the Amtrak train, and the private cars on the rear.

It's at the bottom of the page.

Cancellation Policy

Cancellations must be received from the Customer in writing and can be sent via email address at [email protected] or via facsimile at 312-466-9589 ATTN: Reservation Cancellations.

The Customer is liable for payment-in-full if full pre-payment has been received and the reservation has cancelled at any point less than forty-five (45) days prior to departure.

Cancellations made by the Customer must be received by the Company in writing via facsimile or email. Telephone cancellations are not accepted.

The following cancellation charges will be assessed for all written cancellations received prior to departure up to the scheduled time of departure:

60 days or more prior to departure / full refund

60 days to 46 days prior to departure / 50% refund of deposit

45 days prior to departure / 100% of full fare

It's at the bottom of the page.

Cancellation Policy

Cancellations must be received from the Customer in writing and can be sent via email address at [email protected] or via facsimile at 312-466-9589 ATTN: Reservation Cancellations.

The Customer is liable for payment-in-full if full pre-payment has been received and the reservation has cancelled at any point less than forty-five (45) days prior to departure.

Cancellations made by the Customer must be received by the Company in writing via facsimile or email. Telephone cancellations are not accepted.

The following cancellation charges will be assessed for all written cancellations received prior to departure up to the scheduled time of departure:

60 days or more prior to departure / full refund

60 days to 46 days prior to departure / 50% refund of deposit

45 days prior to departure / 100% of full fare
Thank you so much. You've been a wealth of information for my family today!!

Back