Pullman Journeys from NOLA recently

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone ridden on the Pullman Journey Cars attached to the City of New Orleans northbound recently? I was able to snag a roomette for $198 for the march 9th trip. Cheaper than Amtrak roomette. Just would like to know what to expect and how service is. Might be my only chance at such a reasonable rate.

Thanks,

Don

Great that you could grab such a trip, as I am guessing that this is not long for this world. Hopefully, you will have both an observation lounge car and a super dome on the trip, although I remain doubtful that the superdome will be along for the ride.

I am guessing that this is not long for this world.
What makes you say that? Do you think this service will be terminated?
Economics, probably. I can't see it surviving on those fares...
Well it's not ALWAYS running at those fares... what is interesting to remember is this is a very unique operation.

First of all.. the various cars are being used in charter service and on other IPH passenger lines throughout the year as needed.. so the cars are making money (especially the 2 domes.. they seem to be all over the place.. and rightfully so.. they are pretty cool.) That's important to note.. outfits like American Orient Express bought up train cars and were only using them for their own trains.. (as far as I know..)

Also... in this article...

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/car-rental-and-rail/pullman-proving-link-to-decadent-rail-history-excites-todays-traveler.html?u=77241249-53AF-4078-80A3-28964EDB57DA it's pretty clear that Pullman itself took a loss last year.. but IPH made a 3 million profit. That's the difference between Pullman and American Orient Express.. they have the money to invest.

If they can make this work.. (meaning scale this up in the next few years) it's gonna be amazing. Only time will tell... but I'm pretty excited about it.

Back