PDA trip plannes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few weeks ago VIA provided a free PDA trip planner where you could get train times for various city pairs. It is not as extensive as the one provided by swiss rail, but it is still pretty cool.

BART also has one, I down loaded it.

Does anyone know when Amtrak might do this?

Chicago's CTA and metra?

That’s a good question, Steve.

Amtrak has WiFi in some along the NEC since 2004, and it‘s PDA-ccesible. Also available in the DC Acela Lounge. Amtrak/CalTrans tested WiFi on the California Capitols in 2003. Also in 2003 Amtrak offered onboard Yahoo! access in the East, and West.

So perhaps someday soon the Amtrak PDA-schedule availability/trip planner will exist.

The Chief said:
Amtrak/CalTrans tested WiFi on the California Capitols in 2003. Also in 2003 Amtrak offered onboard Yahoo! access in the East, and West.
Amtrak's Capitol Corridor and San Joaquin trains offer Opti-Fi and On-Air Entertainment Wi-fi on selected trains. Three Amtrak California coaches are currently equipped with the wi-fi service and it is rotated through all the trains in service so that each train ends up with the wifi car one or two days a week. Because of the nature of the railroad and the rotating equipment, users cannot currently rely on wi-fi service on any particular train on a regular basis. However, Amtrak California officials feel that the service is enough to warrant a $10 hookup fee for 24 hours access to it or almost $30 for a month of access... maybe that would be the case if it was consistently available on all trains. Additional information and current predicted availability on Capitol and San Joaquin trains can be found here.

The Chief said:
That’s a good question, Steve.Amtrak has WiFi in some along the NEC since 2004, and it‘s PDA-ccesible. Also available in the DC Acela Lounge. Amtrak/CalTrans tested WiFi on the California Capitols in 2003. Also in 2003 Amtrak offered onboard Yahoo! access in the East, and West.

So perhaps someday soon the Amtrak PDA-schedule availability/trip planner will exist.
Can you explain for me how you make a connection between a wireless broadband provider being contracted to provide WiFi internet access and Amtrak soon providing a standalone application for PDAs, The Chief?

I only ask because these are completely unrelated to each other and I cannot find a way to connect the dots between these two things!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back