Once again, conductors prove value

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ASHLAND, Va. -- Had it not been for the practiced teamwork exhibited by a pair of UTU-represented Amtrak employees, a traveler in a hurry to make his connection would have been a "late" passenger in a very final sense.

According to a letter from Amtrak engineer Clinton M. Hues, who witnessed the event, conductor Gerald W. Maxey, a member of Local 1933 in Washington, D.C., performed an act of heroism "that deserves a major commendation. He clearly saved the life of the passenger, even at the risk of his own life."

Railfan.net

This is great work by the conductor, but I think you can dispense with the references to his union membership. I am sure it was his personal character that enabled him to be a hero, not his representation by a union.

haolerider said:
This is great work by the conductor, but I think you can dispense with the references to his union membership. I am sure it was his personal character that enabled him to be a hero, not his representation by a union.
There has been debate in the past regarding the abolishment of the AC (assistant conductor) on many Amtrak trains. The purpose of this story I believe is to illustrate the possible mistakes in doing so if this action occurs. The assistant conductor in this case was needed in order for the conductor to do what he needed to do. It appears to me that if the AC wasn't there to open up the vestibule door on the oposite side of the train, nobody may have seen the passenger trying to get in on the wrong side of the train with that passenger being unaware they are in harms way! Someone here was able to investigate the what the commotion was!

As railroad employees, it is our responsibility to protect the ignorant from danger! The general public isn't always aware of their safety around railroads or other dangerous areas. It is sad, but that is the facts! So we have to do whatever it takes to perform our jobs to the best of our ability, and as safely as possible. And part of that is to protect the ignorant from what they may not realize at the time. Yeah, and in this case, the conductor darn near risked his life to save the life of another. It is a good thing the assistant conductor was there, the outcome appears as it could have been different.

So the main issue regarding the union here in my opinion, is sometimes here in the railroad industry, management doesn't realize there is only so much we (one person) can do, and the old adage of "there is safety in numbers" appears to have been proven here! As far as I am concerned, they don't need to cut any more on train personel whether it is operating crew (freight and pax) or on board service crew. It is cut to the bone as it is! OBS...

haolerider said:
The reason for the Union wording in the story is this story was done by the UTU and was sent to me as a UTU News Flash.The UTU is giving the Conductor and AC credit for a job well done. :)

And a lot of people don't like unions but when you work for the RR you need the unions or we would be walked all over and i don't think Amtrak would have half the chance it does without the UTU steping in to try to save it. :)

BNSF_1088 said:
And a lot of people don't like unions but when you work for the RR you need the unions or we would be walked all over and i don't think Amtrak would have half the chance it does without the UTU steping in to try to save it. :)
Aloha

I am an officer in a union. I wish we didn't need unions but management's (most) focus on bottom line, and themselves, requires the unified strength of a union.

GG-1 said:
BNSF_1088 said:
Aloha

I am an officer in a union. I wish we didn't need unions but management's (most) focus on bottom line, and themselves, requires the unified strength of a union.
I am a railfan mind ya, however, I wouldn't work in this profession if there was no union to represent me and my fellow employees. We most definitely would be walked all over if we didn't have a union! No, I don't particularly like paying that dues payment out every month, but I knew what I was getting into before I signed the contract when I was employed. And that far outweighs that little monthly charge! OBS...

Back