Onboard upgrade

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

malone

Taking the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Los Angeles next Friday to visit new grandson at the wonderful railsale fare. Considering an upgrade to a standard sleeper.

How difficult is it to upgrade to a sleeper (if available) once onboard and is it cheaper to try to upgrade onboard or do it at the station? Also, how is this accomplished onboard?

Thanks in advance for your replies :D

Its not very likely there will be space availible, however if there is it's done on board. I think you would have to find the conductor. I'm not 100% sure though. Enjoy your trip.

It's not very difficult to do at all. Just seek out a conductor, or when he/she comes to take your ticket, express your desire to upgrade if there is a room available. They will tell you the price for the upgrade and you can make your decision. The conductor can accept cash or a credit card for the upgrade. I'm not sure about travelers check, but I think that they can also take those. No personal checks are allowed though.

As for space it's hard to say, but since we are heading into the off season you might get lucky. Fridays and Saturdays tend to be busier though, so the trains does tend to sell out more on those days. Also note, you must upgrade while on the train. Since you used the railsale fares, you cannot upgrade prior to the start of your journey. So you can't upgrade via phone, nor while you are in the station.

Ps. Since you mention your new Grandson, at the risk of being presumptuous, I will say that if you qualify as a senior citizen you might get a ticket agent in Chicago to upgrade you to a sleeper. I wouldn't want to bet on it, but Amtrak does tend to help out and cater to seniors so you might get lucky if you qualify.

That said an onboard upgrade would still be cheaper than anything the agent in Chicago could do.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for the response :)

I don't qualify (yet) for senior citizen status (just have prolific sons, lol).

Thanks to great genes, no one ever believes I'm 51, so I think 65 would be a stretch, lol!!

I'm going to check with the conductor when I board for the price, but the more I think about it, it really defeats the savings of the railsale fare. Besides, I could take the extra money and make a quick trip to Hawaii to visit my grandkids there ;)

Avtually, upgrading is not a bad deal. If at most it should only be $100-200 for a Standard Room which includes a bed for the night, plus a shower, free non-alcoholic drinks, and all meals are complementry in the Dining Car.

Also as a last resort you could see if there is space between two cities in one sleeper and between a different pair of cities in a different sleeper. This may work if there is no space between your stations.

How great to be able to visit grandkids in Hawaii. I wonder how much a deluxe bedroom to Honolulu is these days. :lol:

seajay

As much as I hate to fly (lack of leg room for tall people), I truly wish there was a train to Hawaii, lol! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back