Okay, So I Wasn't Actually On The Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sweet tea

Service Attendant
Hey Gang,

Thought of ya'll last night as I rode a boat around Manhattan Island. Tons of drawbridges, but the only one that had to open for our little ship was the Amtrak bridge at the top of the island -- the one for the tracks going to Poughkeepsie and beyond, that the LSL takes.

Anyhow, thought someone here might enjoy seeing a pic or two of it open:

2630905647_d298d738e4.jpg

2631726664_9df3416dcc.jpg

(mods please move this topic if this isn't the place for it. thanks :) )

Hey Gang,
Thought of ya'll last night as I rode a boat around Manhattan Island. Tons of drawbridges, but the only one that had to open for our little ship was the Amtrak bridge at the top of the island -- the one for the tracks going to Poughkeepsie and beyond, that the LSL takes.

Anyhow, thought someone here might enjoy seeing a pic or two of it open:

2630905647_d298d738e4.jpg

2631726664_9df3416dcc.jpg

(mods please move this topic if this isn't the place for it. thanks :) )
Guess you were on the Blue Circle tour? I really like that. It is a good easy way to see Manhattan. I took my mother on that when she was elderly and with Parkinson's disease. She would have been unable to deal with buses, climbing up and down steps, etc.. So she sat there and saw all she needed to see and loved it. They managed to circle the Statue of Liberty(this was before 9/11) so all could see it, such as folks who had tot remain seated as she did. I ran around all over the place but checked back on her frequently. I felt she was perfectly safe in that crowd of tourists. It was her one and only trip to NYC--which she totally loved. Wished I had taken her before she was ill.

Aloha sweet tea

Loved seeing your pictures. And so what if you were not on a train, Amtrak provided pleasure.

For the record, Patrick and Tom have a thing. Now what did they do with the thing? :rolleyes:

thanks for the love, y'all!

whooz -- i love bridges too. and turns out there are a lot of them around here. if you like, check out the whole set:http://www.flickr.com/photos/54011584@N00/...57605962741321/ (also a few pictures of the 207th st subway yards.)

bill -- sure was the circle line. i've lived here 3 years, and i wish i'd taken this trip sooner! (we went because my partner is working on a book that involves two characters riding a magic carpet down the hudson, and she wanted to get a sense of what it would look like.) highly recommended to anyone who likes new york, boats, bridges, or rivers, even if you're not a tourist.

here's one more of that amtrak bridge, and one old-school rail scene:

2633984559_01b0518d34.jpg

2633953471_1957540111.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone know why it's SO low down? i know that spot isn't navigationally crucial, but it still seems a little odd to have a bridge only 5' above the water. it has to open for every little thing that wants to go by, which has got to be fun to schedule with the trains.

anyone know why it's SO low down? i know that spot isn't navigationally crucial, but it still seems a little odd to have a bridge only 5' above the water. it has to open for every little thing that wants to go by, which has got to be fun to schedule with the trains.
Well Amtrak doesn't run all that many trains over it so it's not too big of a problem and it doesn't stay open for all that long.

That said, it's low because of the geography in that area. If they build a higher bridge, that cleared boats, the trains would have a big long grade to climb and there really isn't room for that grade/hill. The MN tracks are just barely above the water level themselves, so you can't arrive on Spyten Duyvil side 50 feet up in the air and still connect the tracks without a big long downgrade. And there really isn't room for such a grade to be built.

thanks alan. that makes sense -- although i admit i was half-hoping for a crazy story beginning "old man jenkins finally agreed to sell his property to the railroad, but on one condition:...." or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back