OH NO!! I DID IT AGAIN!! I USED A TRAIN!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acela150

Super Buff
OH boy... I did it again.. I rode a train!! :p :)

Me and the Girlfriend took a short jaunt out to Chicago. Thanks to a call to AGR I snagged the last roomette on train 449 on the 20th from Boston to Chicago. This being my first redemption it was a rather nice one. For me at least.

We started off the day boarding a "T" train to Downtown Boston. Boarded at Norfolk for the hour long ride to South Station. Train arrived and we headed off for a QT to retrieve some "paper" eTickets for our ride. We then headed up to the lounge where we were greeted by Alan's favorite CA attendant. Lynn. :lol: Man is she a miserable witch.. She asked for our ID's to check into the lounge. Then before I could say can we leave our bags here and goto breakfast, she called for a red cap over and over and over until one came up. I seriously don't get how they deal with her. The red headed young lady is the complete opposite of her.

We then headed for breakfast at the South Street Diner. Over priced and to small of a place. For 2 glasses of Apple juice that were fairly small it was $6!! :eek: I'll goto Susan's Deli next time. Like I've been doing. I just wanted to try something new. We headed back to the lounge and sat back and relaxed. I was called by the red cap to head down to the train. We were greeted by Bill. A great guy who gained the nickname "Sleeper Monkey" by his co-workers. For his duties of climbing and assisting Sleeper passengers. We were told lunch would be after Worcester or Wooster or Wister.. Their are so many ways to say it! :D We headed to the Lounge for a small lunch. The lunch was an Italian Sub with a Pesto that was very heavy on spices. I had a few bits and couldn't eat anymore as the Pesto was to heavy on spice. Chips accompanied the dish and it wasn't that bad. Met a couple from Battle Creek, MI. They are interesting to talk to. As we approach Albany we're told you can stay on the train or go up to the concourse for 15 minutes at the max or stay up there and wait until general boarding. As the buff I am I took some photos of the train and then the Adirondack arrived with the dome. It was a true treat seeing it! The replacement included a coach and ACS-64 #603! Double treats!! :D Loved seeing these units. My impression of the paint job is that it's very bland and they didn't think much of it. It's just a BIG Amtrak logo in the center.. I asked the conductor who took over if I could stay on the platform to watch the arrival of 49 from New York. He told me on or off.. :( I choose off. Got a snack and a drink at the station. Since the train hadn't left the platform I went back down after the gate agent took a glance at my ticket. I waited for 10 minutes and the conductor almost lost his head when he saw me sitting on the platform. When I got back on we sat for quite a while until 49 from NYP arrived. Back onto the bigger train and then we took off. Dinner was in 8517? A very nicely overhauled Heritage Diner. It was nice to eat in one of these fine units before they disappear. I had the steak, and WOW! What a dinner! We ate with a nice couple from Minnesota. Funniest people to talk to! We retired to our beds around 930, after Bill put our beds down. It was nice being able to see some things from the window up top. I woke up at 730 got dressed and headed off for breakfast. I enjoyed some pancakes and bacon. Very tasty.

We arrived Chicago about 2 hours late and checked into the lounge in Chicago. Dropped off our bags and off we went. We headed to the Shedd Aquarium to check it out, downslide was a 2 hour wait. So we declined that idea and went for a walk along Roosevelt Road. We ended back at the Roosevelt CTA Station for the Orange Line. We run our fare cards through the machine and off we went. We get to the top of the escalator which is a long one. An Orange Line train to the Loop was waiting and we quickly hopped on. We headed to Quincy got off and headed for Giordanos! A bit of a wait for a table but I ordered the good ole Deep Dish while we waited. When it arrived, man was I not let down!! The lady friend chose to order a Chicken Alfredo which was tasty as well. I ordered a Medium cause I wanted to take some home!! I forgot how good the pizza was! But how iffy it was re heated.

When we arrived back into the lounge we sat down and relaxed. I went to find something small for the way back. Found something for a friend who is a Blackhawks fan.

Around 6ish we were called for boarding. We proceeded to the door and made our way towards the train. We hadn't made our way 30 feet from the door when we were told to turn around. Issues with the HEP caused a much delayed departure. The worst part is that the Amtrak staff gave no updates.. I had to get an update from the lounge attendant who didn't make any announcements at all, I spread it to the passengers. I'm used to updates from the staff.. I was extremely disappointed.. Then as we proceeded to the platform we ran into a ton of coach passengers.. One of which called me well not a nice name. I knew where I was going he didn't. I just looked at it as, he's upset the trains leaving late and taking it out on me. Shortly before departure I snagged a seat in the Diner, which was a CCC. Very nice car. Seats are much better then a regular diner. I rather enjoyed the CCC. The train stopped in Indiana for a car stopped on a grade crossing. We arrived in Pittsburgh 3 hours late! Those headed for Florida on the SS... Penny, knock knock, penny, knock knock penny.. Were bussed to DC for the connection. After I got cell service again, I sent a text to Alan asking him if we would be able to make the 4PM AE to boston. He told me it would be close. So how close was it?? 2258 was pulling out as we arrived! :( We then went to the ticket office to get rebooked. Then headed to the lounge. We arrived into Westwood around 1am. Not a fun trip on that section..

Overall another trip knocked down.

DSC_0035.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

IMG_0679.jpg

:cool: Nice trip and Pics ! I still don't understand why they make you go Up into to the Station in Albany if you want to get off during the Switching? :blink: Hope #30 isnt Running Late on my "Short Trip" to the Gathering via Orlando, a Bustitution is not on my Agenda! ;)

Back