NYC - Toronto. Bus-plane or train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jonathan

Hi!

I will be travelling from New York to Toronto. What is the best way for the trip?

Plane: with aircanada it is 118usd

Bus: Greyhound 80usd.

Train: amtrak. 80usd coach. 109usd business.

Bus, definetly NO!

Now, I am on the dilema of chosing between Plane and Train. I´ve never travelled before by train. What is you experience since the station, train and the arrival station. Whats best, train or plane?

Jonathan

Well just to note, you have asked advice from rail fans forum. So you will get one answer....take the train!! Consider the time you have. If you have time, take the train for sure. Of course $118 for airfare is not bad, so its really up to you, as it is not much more than the train. So when you take the train, go with an open mind. Don't be in a hurry. Bring stuff to read or listen to. And you can always get up to walk around, unlike the plane or bus. Consider your travel time to the airport, checkin time for international flights, security, etc. At NYC, there are very little lines to wait in.

Hope this helps some. I'm sure others will chime in.

Chris

I agree with Saxman66. Take the train if you have plenty of time. Train is far more relax than airplane. Try train once. You'll never know and it's part of an adventure! If you like it, then you'll hook to train! That's what I did.

I've taken this trip twice within the last year, I definitely recommend taking the train. This last time around back in May I rode business class, it's worth the money since you get a little more room. Plus, good sights along the way!

Thank you.

Now, I have some other questions.

I am from mexico, but I will be living 2 years on Canada, study purposes. I will fly to NYC, stay 1 week, and then to Canada. So, I will be travelling with a minimum of 2 baggage and 2 carry on.

I dont know where I read that in the train form NYC to Toronto there is not check in for baggage??? So how can I travel by train with all my things?

Sorry for all this questions. :unsure:

There's no "stupid" questions. We're really happy to help you!

Here's the info about baggage policy.

Which station are you leaving from? If the departure and arrival stations are staffed, including checked baggage on one route, then it should accept checked baggage. If one of them is not, then you'll have to carry as a carry-on baggages.

Jonathan,

I agree with gswager, there are no stupid questions. And in this case it is very good that you did ask that question.

The Maple Leaf does not offer checked baggage. Therefore you will probably not be able to use the train with all of that luggage. The limit is two carryon suitcases that weigh under 50 pounds or about 22 kilograms.

So unless the two big bags meet the size and weight requirements, and the two carryon's look like they are part of the bigger bags, you are likely to be told that you can't board with all of that luggage. You may well have to consider another travel alternative, unless you can ship some of your luggage directly to Canada and not travel with it.

From Penn Station.

Mmmmmm, I think that my trip by train is going to be postponed, I really wanted to do it, but the problem is all my bagagge...

So, I will opt the Plane in this ocassion and later I´ll take the train.

Thank you very much for all this.

Jonathan

AlanB said:
You may well have to consider another travel alternative, unless you can ship some of your luggage directly to Canada and not travel with it.
I agree 100% ... Take just what you need only..and Fed Ex or UPS your other stuff to Canada. I would probably stay away from mail service since it is ore likely to be subject to inspections enroute through different countries.

You might can ship by bus. I've shipped a suitcase by Greyhound Package Express before, and it would be cheaper then Fedex or UPS. You'd just have to pick them up at the bus station in Toronto when you get there.

Let’s look at this objectively:

Train, $80: Plane $122

Train, 1 trip per day: 12 or more flights a day

Train, 12.5 hours: Plane 1.5 hours

Train, only two carry-on's permitted, ship excess baggage by another means: Plane, check baggage on board

The winner? Plane. No matter how nice the Maple Leaf is (and with a 12+ hour ride including minimal food and Amfleet seating, how nice can it really be), the plane wins hands down for this traveler with these circumstances..

So Jonathan: take the plane and ride Amtrak another day.

Back