North American Rail Pass

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, (and thanks ahead for any and all help)

A newbie here from New England. I am a photojournalist here in the northeast and am planning to follow Pres. Trumman's Whistlestop tours throughout the US as close as possible. Election year is coming up so I thought it would be a great story. I will be covering it for a newspaper and for a TV network, having 2 1/2 weeks to do it in. I have a lot of info on Truman's route and stops, but does anyone have any ideas about "must see" train routes, people, interesting places, or additional stops? A reporter and myself are traveling with the North American Rail pass so as to get as many miles as we can to see the country as Truman did. Any different places to lay over? I am looking to shoot enough video for a 1/2hr. tv show to be run in the late spring, and enough still photos for a special section in our newspaper. Any help is appreciated! Have cameras, will travel (by rail) anywhere!

Thanks again,

Photoboy

Well it's interesting that you bring this idea up, as I expored this very phenomenon just a few months ago. I was able to devise a plan that took me over 22,000 miles in 29 days. Well since we're looking at about a 17 day period of time for your trip I'll try to cut some of the fat and let you hit many of the major cities, now obviously you'll have to decide if there are any small towns where you would like to stop and get the small town America perspaective at. Since you say you're from New England I'll begin this itenerary from Boston, if you are in a different location we may have to tweak this a bit, but it should be about the same.

Day 1: Depart Boston Train 449-Lake Shore Limited 11:50A

Day 2: Arrive Chicago 9:20A

Depart Chicago Train 7-Empire Builder 2:10P

Day 3: On Board the Builder

Day 4: Arrive Portland, OR 10:10A

Depart Portland Train 11-Coast Starlight 2:25P

Day 5: Arrive Los Angeles 9:00P

Depart Los Angeles Train 2-Sunset Limited 10:30P

Day 6: On Board the Sunset

Day 7: On Board the Sunset

Day 8: Arrive Jacksonville, FL 2:10P

Depart Jacksonville, FL Train 92-Silver Star 7:45P

Day 9: Arrive Washington, DC 11:01A

Depart Washington Train 19-Crescent 7:10P

Day 10: Arrive New Orleans, LA 7:55P

Go to a hotel and get a good night's sleep

Day 11: Depart New Orleans Train 58-City of New Orleans 1:55P

Day 12: Arrive Chicago 9:00A

Depart Chicago Train 30-Capitol Ltd. 5:35P

Day 13: Arrive Washington, DC 12:24P

Depart Washington, DC Regional 94/156 2:05P

Arrive New York City, NY 5:40P

Overnight in New York

Day 14: Depart New York Regional 172 10:30A

Arrive Boston, MA 2:45P

Now this is a 14 day itenerary. Almost all of the trains listed on here run once a day, some more (Regionals), some less (Sunset Ltd. 3x weekly). I left a couple of days worth of wiggle room so that you can pick a couple of small towns and stay over to get the small town perspective. When you are looking to get opinions, go to the lounge many people in there are looking for someone to talk to and can give you some different perspectives from a wide range of groups. Hope you enjoy, and make sure to let us know when your final product comes out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back