No actual train from Boston to Bangor. How come?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Turkheimer

Train tracks exist from Boston, Mass to Bangor, ME, yet in order to get to Bangor Amtrak makes you take a crowded bus for 6-7 hours (on which I go Covid last month). Why can't Amtrak have a train that goes to Bangor?
A

Train tracks exist from Boston, Mass to Bangor, ME, yet in order to get to Bangor Amtrak makes you take a crowded bus for 6-7 hours (on which I go Covid last month). Why can't Amtrak have a train that goes to Bangor?
A
A very complicated question.
I too would love for Amtrak to go to Bangor - I’m a regular user of Concord Coach from South Station to Bangor. It takes a little over 4 hours. I’m making the drive as I write this.

Tracks do indeed exist from Brunswick to Bangor but they are in horrendous shape. Upgrading those tracks to reasonable speeds so that the trip is at least somewhat competitive with driving would cost nearly a billion. Not to mention Bangor doesn’t even have a train station.

There have been various bills introduced to study the feasibility of this route. The proposal includes stops in Augusta, Waterville, and would use the old Maine Central ROW.

Like all transit related proposals in this country, it will take lots of time, money and political will, of which Maine has very little of those three.

Last edited:
A very complicated question.
I too would love for Amtrak to go to Bangor - I’m a regular user of Concord Coach from South Station to Bangor. It takes a little over 4 hours. I’m making the drive as I write this.

Tracks do indeed exist from Brunswick to Bangor but they are in horrendous shape. Upgrading those tracks to reasonable speeds so that the trip is at least somewhat competitive with driving would cost nearly a billion. Not to mention Bangor doesn’t even have a train station.

There have been various bills introduced to study the feasibility of this route. The proposal includes stops in Augusta, Waterville, and would use the old Maine Central ROW.

Like all transit related proposals in this country, it will take lots of time, money and political will, of which Maine has very little of those three.
The most problematic portion is between Brunswick and Waterville as parts of the line are out of service. This is the former Maine Central Lower Road. Guilford/ Pan Am use the Back Road via Lewiston which since the CSX takeover is having done work done on it to bring it up to acceptable level for freight operation.

Another thing threatening the ability to restore rail service besides lack of money and will, is the effort by various groups to convert unused rail rights of way to trails. If and when that happens it would be very difficult to get the rail right of way back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back