NH Native

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello! Born and raised in NH (New Hampshire, USA). My interest in rail is new, but I find it fascinating how well places used to be connected by train. It’s such an effective way to commute. I’m passionate in my feeling that NH desperately needs to restore passenger rail access. For a relatively small state, things really are spread out. I have lots of thoughts and can’t wait to share them! Thanks for letting me join the community! :)

Welcome!

I grew up on Maui, but my parents decided us kids needed some "mainland" experience before we went off to college, so in 1973 the whole family packed up and moved to Concord, NH, for two years. We rode a steam train in Wolfeboro while we were there.

I hope you read around and post often! We like pictures!
That’s funny, I actually live in the Wolfeboro area! The tracks here have been converted to Rail Trails. You can walk the full length of the abandoned wolfeboro branch, to where it meets with the closest active freight line in Wakefield, NH.

I think it was called the Wolfeboro Railroad. It hauled freight--we picked up a boxcar of excelsia, as they call it in New Hampshire.
I remember the Wolfeboro Railroad. It ran a steam train between Sanbornville and Wolfeboro where you could connect to the boat on Lake Winnipesaukee. I rode it sometime in the 1970s I think. In 1985 the state took over the right of way for the rail trail.

I’m passionate in my feeling that NH desperately needs to restore passenger rail access.:)
Ugh, don't hold your breath. But I guess I'm a pessimist when it comes to transportation change in this country.

Welcome from just across the border anyhow! AU is filled with endlessly knowledgeable people when it comes to rail!

Back