Newbie from MA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone, I am Andrew from MA. I have been a train fan since I was a baby, but Amtrak took me by storm when I started collecting models. Look forward to being a member here and hope to work for the MBTA or Amtrak within the year. I also strictly collect brass Amtrak models for HO scale (I am just starting to collect brass N scale engines).

Again I look forward to the fun, info and advice this site has!

Welcome to the forum. I hope you will enjoy part of our group.

Some of us were in Boston in January riding on the T and the

Downeaster.

Thank you everyone for the kind words of acceptance, this sounds like an amazing group of people on the site.

June- I have also taken the LSL, but it was back in 97 when I was in 9th grade. I overnighted in a Viewliner to Syracuse (or the next station) as I was going to visit Cornell University (Ithica, NY).

Shanghai- I was up in Maine late last fall/early winter when they had just opened up the 2 stations after Portland for the DownEaster (I have family in Woolwich). I usually take my show truck to Maine for a beach vacation during summer but I am thinking DownEaster all the way!

Sorcha- Boston is best during the spring, all new flowers, fresh landscaping make the city beautifal (I was a landscaper but am on 12 weeks bed rest now). As well we have our Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics playing, great dining, and so much more!

I'm hoping to do a day trip to Boston this spring (from DE). Am just waiting on a friend to decide the best time for her to take a vacation day. It will be my first time there. Seeings as the train will take up most of the day (and evening), the trip is more about the train ride up and back then seeing Boston. I suspect we'll just walk some of the Freedom Trail for the few hours we'll have.

I completely understand about the trip revolving around the train, I am the same but this is a whole new world to me where people appreciate Amtrak as much as I do. Their are plenty of good restaurants for the couple hours your in Boston, my mother use to cook with Julia Child in Cambridge. If you need any recomendations I would be happy to give some advice, the freedom trail is always fun!

I'm hoping to do a day trip to Boston this spring (from DE). Am just waiting on a friend to decide the best time for her to take a vacation day. It will be my first time there. Seeings as the train will take up most of the day (and evening), the trip is more about the train ride up and back then seeing Boston. I suspect we'll just walk some of the Freedom Trail for the few hours we'll have.
Betty IF it's a clear day out. Make sure to stop by the Prudential Tower Observation Deck. I think it's around $15 a person and has a great view of the Charles River and Fenway Park. Plenty to do in beantown. I also strongly suggest Quincy Market. It's right next to the Government Center "T" Station.

Thanks guys. Have added to my list of suggestions. Now if I could only get my friend to commit. Her dad passed away last year and she's been busy helping her mom. But she says she wants to do it, so I'm just waiting.

Welcome. I was with Shanghai (and several others) in Boston in January. I had a very nice time (even though it was pretty cold for me since I am a Floridian).

Betty IF it's a clear day out. Make sure to stop by the Prudential Tower Observation Deck. I think it's around $15 a person and has a great view of the Charles River and Fenway Park. Plenty to do in beantown. I also strongly suggest Quincy Market. It's right next to the Government Center "T" Station.
^^^Great recomendations sir. That is what I do on some weekends, take the MBTA into south station, try to get some looks at the daily equipment the LSL is running Boston-Albany. 2 quick subways to Gov't Center/Quincy Market and just shop. Or go to North Station and walk to Pizzaria Regina to get the best italian pizza (in my opinion). The Pru is always fun, just need a clear day. They also have great shops their and on Newbury Street.

I will definitely check out Boston someday. We're hoping to do a New England trip during the next couple of years. We also want to see NYC, Maine, and a few other places, like the Ben & Jerry's factory. I figure we can rent a car, drive around for a few days, and say we hit every state in the area. It helps that a lot of them are small. :)

Welcome to the AU forum from Buckeye Land-- home of the LSL, Cap Ltd and Cardinal. Love Amtrak :p
And all those are at night! :giggle: Why would anyone want to see Ohio in the daytime anyway? :blush:
Hey, those are fighting words- we have some of the most beautiful soybean and corn fields in America :p

Back