New to Forum

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjibear

Conductor
I just found this forum and have been lurking for the past few days. I have found this forum to be a wealth of knowledge and am hoping to contribute for the little I have used Amtrak (mostly Keystone and Northeast Corridor). However, I feel everyone is using abbreviations when they discuss here and I can't find their meanings. I am able to guess at some (i.e. NEC = Northeast Corridor?) but others I have no clue. I found that some people talk about cities using the 3 letter code but that is not what some of these other abbreviations are. Help?

Welcome. This is a friendly and very informative group. I am Bob in Albuquerque (ABQ)

I'm taking the Southwest Chief (SWC) to L.A. (LAX) and then it's on to San Diego (SAN) for 10 days over Christmas.

Most folks here, I'm guessing, are well experienced in rail travel and don't think twice about using abbreviations.

On 12/20 I'm taking my first Amtrak trip in many years, but in the past have gone cross country several times, as well as Connecticut to Florida;

Pittsburgh to D.C; Chicago to Little Rock; and many trips between Hartford to NYC or Boston.

Yet most of the abbreviations are Greek to me.

List of Amtrak station codesMy link

My linkAnagrams/Abbreviations - Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

I just found this forum and have been lurking for the past few days. I have found this forum to be a wealth of knowledge and am hoping to contribute for the little I have used Amtrak (mostly Keystone and Northeast Corridor). However, I feel everyone is using abbreviations when they discuss here and I can't find their meanings. I am able to guess at some (i.e. NEC = Northeast Corridor?) but others I have no clue. I found that some people talk about cities using the 3 letter code but that is not what some of these other abbreviations are. Help?
:giggle: Yeah, can be confusing!

What abbeviations are you refering to?

RF

BTW ( by the way ) Welcome

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, I am on the CZ (California Zephr) in the Colorado Rockies. I am looking at more snow than I have seen in my life. I live in ORL (Orlando) and we do not see any snow there.

Welcome! :hi: I live about 30 minutes outside of PHL-Philadelphia and travel AE-Acela Express, NER's- Northeast Regional's, and Keystoner's often. When I ride AE I ride normally FC- First Class. When I ride AE FC I also use CA-Clubacela, Located in BOS-Boston South Station,NYP-New York Penn, PHL, and WAS-Washington,DC As I travel between a city pair and get 750 AGR- Amtrak Guest Rewards points. I hope you have one of these since you ride Amtrak. If you don't send me a PM- Personal Message with your e-mail and I will refer you! There are many abbreviations. If you don't know. Ask! We will be glad to help! ^_^

Welcome! :hi:

Steve

As said, most of the abbreviations we use on this forum are shortened names of the trains

• CS = Coast Starlite
  • EB = Empire Builder
  • LSL = Lake Shore Limited
  • CL = Capitol Limited
  • etc...

We also use abbreviations for stations. Some are the same code as that cities airport

• LAX = LA
  • PDX = Portland, OR
  • SEA = Seattle
  • STL = St Louis
  • BOS = Boston
  • ALB = Albany, NY
  • PHL = Philadelphia
  • etc...

A list of the station codes can be found on amtrak.com (under "find a station"), but in time you'll learn the most common ones!
smile.gif
If you don't know one, just ask! We don't bite - too much!
laugh.gif

Oh, and welcome!
hi.gif

You will know the abbreviations soon.
Surely, you're joking? :giggle:
Anyone who grew up in New Kensington, PA would have no trouble with

knowing the abbreviations!!
You grew up in New Kensington?! I had family there and spent a lot of time there. We actually took the train there once from Pittsburgh when I was a kid.
I had a close friend from Plum Borough near New Kensington.

He owned Stockland Farm. His family has been in the area

for over 150 years.

You will know the abbreviations soon.
Surely, you're joking? :giggle:
Anyone who grew up in New Kensington, PA would have no trouble with

knowing the abbreviations!!
You grew up in New Kensington?! I had family there and spent a lot of time there. We actually took the train there once from Pittsburgh when I was a kid.
I had a close friend from Plum Borough near New Kensington.

He owned Stockland Farm. His family has been in the area

for over 150 years.
And I now have family living in Plum Borough. :lol:

Back