New Route For VIA's Canadian

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NS VIA FAN

Directional Running in Ontario:

Beginning on November 29, VIA's westbound "Canadian" will switch from its current CN route and operate on the Canadian Pacific from Reynolds/South Parry, Ontario to Wanup/Waterfall (south of Sudbury) where it will return to its usual CN route.

This is approximately 93 miles of “new” mileage for the "Canadian" that hasn’t seen scheduled VIA service since January 1990.

The westbound train will now cross the scenic high level bridge over Parry Sound Harbour and stop at the former CP Station which is now an art gallery.

The eastbound "Canadian" will remain on the CN line which is approximately 101 miles between the same points.

This is a directional running agreement that will see all CN, CP & VIA trains use the CP line westbound and CN eastbound. A similar agreement already exists in BC from near Mission to near Ashcroft.

capltd29 said:
Is there a motive for the move?
Why only the westbound?
"This is a directional running agreement that will see all CN, CP & VIA trains use the CP line westbound and CN eastbound. A similar agreement already exists in BC from near Mission to near Ashcroft."

They already answered your question! The last paragraph of the first post! It is a means of preventing oncoming traffic in a segment of trackage. OBS...

I remember that routing from the 90's, and that was a nice bridge. Too bad I will only get to do it east bound in January with my Dad. But now I will have a motive to do it west bound too later on. :D

Steve4031 said:
I remember that routing from the 90's, and that was a nice bridge. Too bad I will only get to do it east bound in January with my Dad. But now I will have a motive to do it west bound too later on. :D
No, it's only the westbound that will now go over that bridge.

The eastbound will continue on the same route you took on your last trip a year and a half ago.

AlanB said:
Steve4031 said:
I remember that routing from the 90's, and that was a nice bridge. Too bad I will only get to do it east bound in January with my Dad.  But now I will have a motive to do it west bound too later on.   :D
No, it's only the westbound that will now go over that bridge.

The eastbound will continue on the same route you took on your last trip a year and a half ago.
Alan, LOL, I understand that. Notice that I said I had to do the westbound on another trip so I could see that bridge. I have already planted the seed in my girlfriends mind about that trip too. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back