New Member, Hey

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Day all. I'm just a guy who's been interested in trains, especially passenger ones, for much of my life now. Came across this forum some time ago, and finally decided to sign up. Live out in the western US, but I'm planning to take a trip down to Boston on the Downeaster as part of planned family reunion I'm going to.

It's a Pleasure to meet you all.

Good Day all. I'm just a guy who's been interested in trains, especially passenger ones, for much of my life now. Came across this forum some time ago, and finally decided to sign up. Live out in the western US, but I'm planning to take a trip down to Boston on the Downeaster as part of planned family reunion I'm going to.

It's a Pleasure to meet you all.
Consider going Business Class on the Downeaster it has more comfortable seating including single seats if you are traveling alone, and free non alcoholic drinks.

Consider going Business Class on the Downeaster it has more comfortable seating including single seats if you are traveling alone, and free non alcoholic drinks.
The extra fare of $12 for Business Class between Portland and Boston also seems a bargain compared with the BC surcharge on most other Amtrak regional routes (the base fare is quite low too). And the last time I took it, the Downeaster cafe attendant took drink orders at our seats, which is a level of service I haven't seen on Amtrak BC elsewhere.

The extra fare of $12 for Business Class between Portland and Boston also seems a bargain compared with the BC surcharge on most other Amtrak regional routes (the base fare is quite low too). And the last time I took it, the Downeaster cafe attendant took drink orders at our seats, which is a level of service I haven't seen on Amtrak BC elsewhere.
Yes it is a bargain. The service by the cafe attendant varies, some of them come into BC and take drink orders and deliver them, others don't and you have to go to the counter.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Unfortunately for me, this is supposed to be part of a family day trip, so I'm likely going to be joined by a number of relatives. So whether or not we're in business class or coach is going to be up to those actually organizing the whole thing. But thank you all for the recommendation, if I ever had back out that direction, I'll remember to book business.

Will definitely be checking out the cafe car though.

Back