New kid on the block

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MAamtrakrider

Hi, I am new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I live in central Massachusetts and am planning a trip of a lifetime to the west coast anytime next spring. I joined this forum so that I could decide which trip was the better way to go and where I should go. This will probably be my longest trip on the train forever, so I want to make the most of it.

I am disabled and walk with a cane, so I am open to anything and everything I can get my little eyes on.

Thanks for including me,

June

Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited. We have a daughter living in San Francisco, so we have

taken a couple of trips from New York to California. We usually go on the Lake Shore Limited

to Chicago, then transit to the California Zephyr. Both trains are most enjoyable, but the

trip through the Rocky Mountains in Colorado and the Seirra Nevada Mountains in Nevada and

California are spectacular. We take the Ambus from Emeryville to San Francisco Ferry station.

On the return, we take the Ambus to Santa Barbara, then the Pacific Surfliner to Los Angeles

then the Southwest Chief to Chicago and the Lake Shore Limited to New York. I would encourage you

to get a sleeper for the trip. Again welcome and I hope you have an enjoyable trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
June,

Welcome and you picked the right spot to learn about train travel. Although I've traveled on LD trains I never knew much until I started reading this forum. It's so helpful it's like having a roadmap and I'm glad I ran into this place and I'm sure you'll feel the same way too! You'll have fun planning your trip!

Welcome,

There is assistance getting to & from the trains & the Station at most major stations. They are called "Red Caps", be sure to use them!!! Dont be afraid to ask questions! I also highly suggest a sleeper!!!!!!

Will this be a round trip & what's your western destination?

Have Fun

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi June,

I live in Oregon, and have taken all the west coast trips. I agree with the others about the California Zephyr -- it is tops! And you should definitely make a loop of it with either the SW Chief or the Empire Builder. Which one depends on what kind of scenery you want to add to the mix: coastline and desert if you go south to LAX on the Coast Starlight and then east to CHI on the SW Chief; mountains and rivers if you go north to Portland or Seattle on the Coast Starlight and then east to CHI on the Empire Builder. Both routes are drop-dead gorgeous. Also, the later you go on the spring, the more daylight you will have. Some of the best views (California coastline, Mt Shasta, Columbia Gorge, Cascade Mts, Rocky Mts in Montana) are very early or late in the day, so more daylight is better. Have a great trip!

Welcome, June!

You will find a wealth of information on this forum. I've learned more here than in all of my months/years of looking up Amtrak tips on Google. When I was planning my Southwest Chief trip two years ago, I found a couple of travel blogs, and then I found this gold mine and never looked back. I use it for all of my trip planning now.

Welcome,

There is assistance getting to & from the trains & the Station at most major stations. They are called "Red Caps", be sure to use them!!! Dont be afraid to ask questions! I also highly suggest a sleeper!!!!!!

Will this be a round trip & what's your western destination?

Have Fun

I really don't have a destination I am just heading west as far as the rail goes and then back. I am thinking about taking the lake shore limited then either the Zephyr or the Southwest chief to CA and then take the Coast Starlight up to Seattle, stay one night in Seattle and then take the Empire builder back to Chicago and the Lake shore limited back to Worcester, MA.

Back