New Cancellation Policy at Amtrak (August 2023)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Booked some tickets today and was advised that a new cancellation policy is now in effect. If I understood it correctly if you cancel before 120 days of your reservation you get a full refund. Within the 120 days you will receive a voucher. If you cancel within two weeks there is a $250 cancellation fee or 10% of your fare. There was a lot going on with the phone call in a noisy location so please feel free to clarify details

Booked some tickets today and was advised that a new cancellation policy is now in effect. If I understood it correctly if you cancel before 120 days of your reservation you get a full refund. Within the 120 days you will receive a voucher. If you cancel within two weeks there is a $250 cancellation fee or 10% of your fare. There was a lot going on with the phone call in a noisy location so please feel free to clarify details
I just bought today and policy is showed as 120-15 days refundable in original payment with 25% fee, but $250 is the maximum fee as well. 14-departure is voucher with 25%

There are no change fees on sleepers period.
Does this mean that we can follow the fares and rebook if we find a lower price? The agent told me this was possible but if we cancel and rebook we could end up in another room or in a different sleeper car. With the price of sleeper fares today it's probably worth looking at it.

Help me understand this, please.

If my Crescent trip ATL to DC runs late (as much as 7 hrs recently), I'm likely to miss my connections heading west. If Amtrak puts me on a later or next-day train, that's ok, but I probably won't get a sleeping room, they're already nearly sold out.

Unless I've missed something, my choices at that point would be:
1. Ride for about 60 hrs in a coach seat. (not going to happen)
2. Get a voucher for some later date (and pay my way back to ATL?)
3. Cancel the trip completely, and lose 25% (~$400), and find my own way back home ($130)?

If #2, will the voucher include a repeat of the ATL to DC leg, or have I just lost another $400, since that portion of the trip was "used"?

Thanks.

If I have to cancel a trip,Amtrak tacks on a 25% cancellation fee. Taking a page from Southwest, if you cancel and aren’t sure of when you will be traveling, but you will, they give you a voucher, with no penalty, Unless you change your reservation on Amtrak at the time, you are penalized. I know I’ll be traveling on Amtrak at a future date, so a voucher is fine. Why can’t Amtrak do this? Rhetorical question I am sure. They could easily do this,but won’t. Another sore point.

Looking at the options at least on the NER trains it now appears that they now give you three choices. Sale at 50% cancellation fee if cancelled before departure, no changes permitted, Value at a 25% cancellation fee if cancelled before departure, no changes permitted and Flex full refund if cancelled before departure, changes permitted.
Of course they are at different price points; the higher the fare, the more options offered,

Looking at the options at least on the NER trains it now appears that they now give you three choices. Sale at 50% cancellation fee if cancelled before departure, no changes permitted, Value at a 25% cancellation fee if cancelled before departure, no changes permitted and Flex full refund if cancelled before departure, changes permitted.
Of course they are at different price points; the higher the fare, the more options offered,
And as mentioned in the thread about the changes to fare options, the price difference between the 3 fares is not that much, at least if you book 14+ days out. In the sample shown below it’s only $4 more for a fully refundable ticket.

IMG_4460.png

The cancellation policy changed as of 10/24/2023. Now, if cancelled more than 24 hours after purchase, a 25% cancellation fee will be charged. In other words, if you used your credit card, you will receive only 75% of the original debit back to your credit card.

Southwest will give you a voucher if you cancel. No cancellation fee. I wish Amtrak would do that. There are times I have to cancel and don’t have any immediate plans to rebook. A voucher would be ideal for future travel, yet Amtrak doesn’t do that.WHY?

The Value box appeared; the Flex box that was supposed to be right next to it did not.
Keep in mind Acela first and NER business fares are automatically flex fares and thus are the only option shown.

I’m pretty sure the value fare price is based on the flex fare price. Never seen a value fare exist when a flex fare didn’t exist, but I have seen the other way around.

Back