Neil Young's A Modeler

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoozOn1st

Engineer
Honored Member
Never a fan of the guy, but I'm reading about him in the Sunday NY Times magazine when I learn he's got a whole building devoted to trains at his ranch near San Francisco.

The article: Neil Young Comes Clean - the author says Young agreed to the article cuz he's pushing an imminent autobiography. Article excerpt:

"For no reason other than it pleases Young, the model-train barn near his home is framed by two actual rail cars. Back in the day, he and his pals used to snort coke and drink wine and tinker with the model layout until it grew into 3,000 square feet of track and trains.

"Young picked up a controller that appeared to be capable of landing a rocket on an asteroid and reminded me that, as an investor in Lionel Trains, he invented Train Master Command Control (which allows you to run multiple trains at once), as well as RailSounds (which provides realistic railroad audio). Young lost a lot of money on his investment, but he's still a board member at Lionel and ended up with a lot of cool gear, so it all sort of worked out.

"As different trains began to move slowly, Young choreographed and narrated. 'There's all different buttons I can press to make them go fast or slow, but they're all going the same speed, so they're not going to run into each other except at a crossover,' he said.

Not that I'm gonna run out and buy Young's book, or suddenly like his music cuz he likes trains, but it's interesting to learn now and again just whooz into "the world's greatest hobby." Isn't Lionel toy, not model, trains, strictly speaking? Or is that an ongoing dispute?

:hi: I am a fan of his Music (and as you know that other guy who can't sing, Bob Dylan) but do think it must be nice to be Rich enough to have such toys, all in all Id still rather have a PV like the Tequila Express if I was that Rich! I could put in a World Class Entertainment System ! As Always, another Interesting Post from an old Rocker on the Left Coast! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a fan of his Music (and as you know that other guy who can't sing, Bob Dylan) but do think it must be nice to be Rich enough to have such toys
Can't you just picture the guy, hovering over his layout like a dope-addled Gomez Addams, howling out lines from "Rust Never Sleeps?"

Lionel will never die!

Then he shouts "out of the blue and into the black" every time one his trains enters a tunnel.

Eventually he gets tired and goes outside to ride one of his llamas.

Good thing Young isn't into live steam. He might crank up Cat Stevens and make everybody ride the Peace Train.

Not that I'm gonna run out and buy Young's book, or suddenly like his music cuz he likes trains, but it's interesting to learn now and again just whooz into "the world's greatest hobby." Isn't Lionel toy, not model, trains, strictly speaking? Or is that an ongoing dispute?
Aloha

I have met several over the years into trains, One Was Sammy Davis Jr. On my Smugmug picture sight is some pictures of a Lionel collection. I was told that when the owner died the collection sold for over 5 million. He had almost 1 of everything, and most in perfect condition.

:hi: I am a fan of his Music (and as you know that other guy who can't sing, Bob Dylan) but do think it must be nice to be Rich enough to have such toys, all in all Id still rather have a PV like the Tequila Express if I was that Rich! I could put in a World Class Entertainment System ! As Always, another Interesting Post from an old Rocker on the Left Coast! :cool:

I'm with you. At least partially. :unsure: I like some of Neil's music and some of that other guys too. And I too would prefer a PV over a layout, hands down, but I imagine the writer of "On The Road Again" likes to be not going anywhere in his time off.

Now why he doesn't have a PV for when he is touring, I can't say for sure, but it could at least be in part beacause you can't pull a PV up to most places that hold concerts...

EDIT :blush: :lol: :blush: :lol: :ph34r: I went of to do something else and then my brain flatulance hit me. I'm mixing musicians. :wacko: And while Neil didn't write "On The Road Again" I'm sure he has spent enough time touring to want to 'stay put' for a lot of his down time. And I like some of all three's music... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't Lionel toy, not model, trains, strictly speaking? Or is that an ongoing dispute?
They're not strict scale models, but as far as I'm concerned, they count as "models" because they cost too much to be "toys."
laugh.gif

The article doesn't mention it, but a lot of Young's interest in Lionel trains came via his special-needs sons; the Train Master Command Control equipment, for example, came from wanting to develop controls that could be operated by his son Ben, who has cerebral palsy.

Latest posts

Back