NEC observations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm now sitting in #67 out of Boston on my way to Washington. On-time departure -- so far my annual MLK weekend trip to the White Mountains has worked out well, particularly the Amtrak part. Of course, we still haven't gotten to Providence, which is where the 2011 debacle took place, but, hey lightning doesn't strike in the same place twice, right? :) Anyway, rather than a trip report, here are a few observations and questions about the state of through NEC riding.

I took my northbound trip on Acela Express 2150. The Acela fare ($165) was actually cheaper than the Regional fare ($195) on #170, which leaves Baltimore 5 minutes after 2150 leaves. Considering that regional BAL-BOS fares are usually less than $100, this was quite a shock. POn the other hand, MLK weekend is about a week latter in January than it usually is.

The first issue is baggage. I have a big duffel with snowshoes, ski boots and winter gear and a pair of skis. I took it to the baggage counter at Baltimore Penn on Tuesday for my Thursday departure. Of course the baggage doesn't go on 2150, it goes out overnight on #66, the only NEC baggage service to Boston. Last year, the baggage guy at Baltimore seemed a little reluctant to take my bags, He gave me some song and dance about sometimes #66 doesn't have a baggage car. (They really need those new cars delivered soon.) I pushed back, and so checked the consist of #66, which had already left NPN by that point, and fpund hos excuse didn't hold up. This year they baggage guy didn't try that, but they charged me $10 for the skis. My bags were waiting for me when I got to Boston, no problem.

I used one of my AGR upgrade coupons to get me FC on the Acela Express. I was surprised how full the car was a Baltimore, considering it was 5:30 AM. Nonetheless, I had no problem getting a decent (single with a window) seat. The only problem was it was on the right (southeast) side f the car, so I got some sun in my eyes north of New York. I also only got one meal, as they serve no lunch on this run, given that it arrives in Boston at 11:40. The run was uneventful and arrived 5 minutes early. If they could cut the dwell time in NYP and speed up the running between New York and New Haven, they could probably save 20-30 minutes off the run without any fancy high-speed technology.

As for my return, I arrived at South Station with my bags and e-ticket. As usual, even though my ticket was to Washington, I only wanted to check ,my bags to Baltimore, as I go directly from the train to work in DC, and then come home to Baltimore in the evening, pick up my bags and take them to the car thoughtfully driven down to the station by my wife. I've been doing this since 2005, but the baggage guy today seemed to have a bit of a problem with this, and was trying to tell me I needed to change my ticket. But when I explained he was OK with t, but I got the idea maybe this wasn't strictly according to policy. If it's not, they need to change the policy, as this sort of service makes using the train viable for this trip.

I'm now on #67, somewhere between rt 128 and Providence, riding Business class. I used some AGR points for this, as the base fare was also about $195, plus the $40 or so for business class. As I've posted before on the fares, who the hell is riding INTO Washington on the day after the inauguration? (Unless it's DC locals who have fled to avoid the crowds.) In any even, when we boarded, it seemed like the crowd was smaller than usual. There were only 3 business class pax at South Station, plus one who boarded at Back Bay, and a couple who boarded at rt 128. Last year, the car was close to full when by the time we left rt 128. I wonder if the high bucket fares are driving away customers.

My final nit to pick: The business class car was the 2Xi club car, which is great. (more legroom than the acela express first class), but for some reason, the window curtains seem to be missing. I'm anticipating some problems with sleep because of this, the lights at various stations waking me up. I wonder why Amtrak has decided to remove the window curtains. Even the beat up rattletrap cars on the Penn Central had window shades to block the sun or outside lights at night, the lack of such is one of the negative points of the Amfleet I equipment.

We're arriving in Providence, Better sign off for now and try to get some sleep. Noo need for me to report further unless we don't get to DC on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back