Mystic, CT Amtrak station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could someone give me some information about the Mystic, CT Amtrak station. Based on the Amtrak site, it has a waiting room but no mention of an agent on duty. Are taxis and Uber easily available?

Thanks.

The Mystic, CT, Amtrak station building is now a cafe with both inside and outside seating and seems very popular, including with locals. It’s a great place to have breakfast or lunch and watch trains. It’s open from 8:00 to 2:00 daily.

Most people boarding a train going south arrive and wait in the outside seating area. There isn’t a seating area on the side going north. There is no station agent, and relatively few trains stop there.

Mystic is my northern “short getaway” place, and I go up a couple of times a year. I take Lyft when I’m there but have had mixed results. Sometimes I can get one easily, and other times it says “limited availability” and I just give up and walk.

I haven’t seen a taxi there for years. I don’t have Uber set up so don’t know about that.

If you decide to stay in Mystic, you could stay at a chain hotel that has a shuttle. Or do what I do and stay at a place within walking distance of the train station.

Mystic Station has limited service, and no amenities, it is a ground level platform station so it is not a good option
for people with mobility issues.

Nearby New London is a full service station with agents, indoor waiting room, high level boarding platforms, and ample connections from
ride shares, taxis, and local bus service. If you need assistance with boarding, and the like, New London would be a
better option.

Ken

Thanks for all of the helpful information.

It looks like we may be going to the Mystic Hilton for a few days next year and I wanted to think about our options. We may drive or take Amtrak. If we go by Amtrak, we might continue on to DC by Amtrak after our stay at the Mystic Hilton. I guess this would give the poor Mystic station a boost in ridership. It appears the Mystic Hilton does not offer a shuttle so I guess we would probably depend on Uber. Then again, it might be just as easy to drive to Mystic and have our own car there.

We love Mystic and have been long time members of the Seaport, even though we live about two hours away. Our son goes to the sailing summer camp every year. I'd like to take Amtrak but for some reason very few trains stop there. We'd do it if it was more convenient, but we end up just jumping in the car.

As mentioned, there are many hotels within walking distance and I'm sure there are local Ubers. The Seaport is also an easy walk.

Back