My name is Stephen, and i'm an Amtrak-a-holic

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
I keep on finding reasons to hit the rails as of late. Needless to say I'm trying to do my part to keep Amtrak afloat.

I'm off to LAX this Friday on the inagural westbound Sunset. That's just a trip for the heck of it. I figure it's a good show of support to be there on that first run. And I get to rack up some new mileage which is always a good thing.

I get back to NOL on the 7th, and then I have to leave on the 12th for New York City for an alumni meeting/reception/networking event. So, of course, I looked into Amtrak for that trip, and they underpriced all the airlines outbound out of New Orleans. Coming back, Delta Air Lines was offering a fare of $83 one way from LaGuardia (no wonder they are losing $$$!), but that flight leaves at 9:00am. I have a feeling that I will have a very long two nights in NYC, so the idea of waking up really early and catching a cab to the airport doesn't appeal to me. So, i'm taking #19 back home. Might as well sleep late, enjoy a good NYC lunch, and hop on over to Penn Station. I'll be in Coach both ways on the Crescent, but hey, a train ride is a train ride.

From one Amtrak-a-holic to another, sounds like a good trip. Be sure to wave at me when you pass thorugh ATL.

I saw 19 yesterday morning, it left NOL-bound about 15 or 16 minutes alte.

Bill, is the Crescent still running with the usual consist? I haven't heard if they cut back on the equipment at all on that route. And I'll definetely give you a wave.

One change that is not in the timetable is a 10 minute earlier arrival and departure on train #19. It was a change made at the very last minute - after the printing of the National Timetable - and apparently it was made to accommodate a VRE conflict.

Notices will be placed in all stations along the route to alert passengers. For passengers who arrive in plenty of time this will not be an issue, but there are constantly the last minute stragglers who come running through the station at the very last minute, expecting the train to be held for them, and they usually have 3-4 bags to check as well.

Bill Haithcoat said:
NativeSon5859 said:
Bill, is the Crescent still running with the usual consist? I haven't heard if they cut back on the equipment at all on that route. And I'll definetely give you a wave.

It is completely normal.

Should be the same consist. Its possible you could have 3 engines as of late. Thankfully now they can wye the trains so they aren’t running up north backwards. I'll look for you as well in ATL!

st stephen with a rose in and out of the garden he goes.. sorry... im a grateful dead- a holic too

so everything w/ the crescent is ok? im taking no. 20 from greensboro to baltimore over the christmas holidays, and i hope it isnt replaced with a smaller train

jack straw said:
st stephen with a rose in and out of the garden he goes.. sorry... im a grateful dead- a holic too
so everything w/ the crescent is ok? im taking no. 20 from greensboro to baltimore over the christmas holidays, and i hope it isnt replaced with a smaller train
You should be good. You should get the following consist:

-2 (maybe 3) P42's

-Baggage

-Dorm Lounge

-2 Viewliners

-Diner

-Lounge

-4 Coach

Back