My first Cardinal trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It had been approximately 15 years since I've been to Chicago to see family there, and where I live now (in Columbus, Ohio), I wanted to take the train there instead of driving, especially since I was able to get the time needed off work in order to make this happen. I haven't ever taken the Cardinal before, so this was a great opportunity. I have been looked so forward to taking it ever since I booked the ticket.

To Chicago:
I took the Cardinal from Cincinnati, OH on 7/8. Cincinnati's Amtrak trains only pass through in the middle of the night, so I departed from Cincinnati Union Terminal (which is now mainly a museum more than a train station). The train was on time, and it was great to finally take the train from there (as I sometimes watch the Cardinal depart from the railcam there).

Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 6.00.30 PM.png

Since the train was 100% full (I've been randomly monitoring its capacity since I've purchased the ticket), the passengers were provided a seat assignment upon boarding the amfleet II. The other passenger that I sat next to was dead asleep. For me, with me being a railfan / passenger train enthusiast and love riding passenger rail, I had no plans to sleep, and the conductor Matthew noticed my Amtrak 50th anniversary shirt that I was wearing, and that I was actively looking outside the window from the aisle seat for quite a while. He asked me if I wanted to move to a window seat (when able) and I gladly accepted, and he and I had some conversations about trains with him as well. He was very knowledgeable too.

IMG_1569.jpeg IMG_1570.jpeg

When we arrived at our stop in Indianapolis, we were stopped there for approximately an hour (smoke break for those who smoke, as well as crew change). This allowed me to get some more pictures of the train (where I am in Columbus, I do not have any Amtrak to railfan, so it was great to have this opportunity). In Indianapolis, we also picked up the majority of the rest of the passengers for the trip to Chicago. Also, on a side note, the Indianapolis platform area reminded me a lot of Pittsburgh's platform area (as well as the roof above the platforms).

IMG_1578.jpeg IMG_1587.jpeg

Upon my arrival in Chicago, it was great to see all of the other Amtrak trains that were there (I was in Amtrak railfan heaven). It looked like our train parked was right beside the Lake Shore Limited (telling from the trainset).

While I was there, I spent some time railfanning the northern Illinois line up to Wisconsin, which can be found in another post coming after this one in a different section of the forum.

To Cincinnati:
On Tuesday night (7/11), I arrived back at Chicago Union Station to head back to Cincinnati. I wanted to get there earlier than expected departure so that I could railfan from inside the visitor area as much as I could. I also wanted to see if the 50th anniversary / Day 1 charger unit 301 would be going out on the Empire Builder (as it is my favorite unit and I have been unable to locate it while in Chicago as it is in the yard and/or shop somewhere). While I was there, I noticed that 50th anniversary unit 161 (Phase I) was on the Amtrak side of the southbound tracks from having arrived on #4 earlier.

IMG_1677.jpeg
(This was the best picture I could get of it from inside the terminal due to the Amtrak side being closed off)

A little while after watching the trains from both the north and the south side of the station, it was time to board for #50 headed back east. This train was also 100% at capacity, and we were given assigned seating upon boarding. I was in the coach right behind the P42 (leading locomotive) and the majority of our coach were all passengers for Cincinnati as well. After developing a rapport with the person sitting next to me, I asked if I could have the window seat and he accepted.

IMG_1687.jpeg

In Indianapolis, we had approximately 20 minutes in the station (for crew change, smoke break for those who smoke, and to acquire the Indianapolis passengers). This gave me another opportunity to get some more pictures of the train. Conductor Matthew (mentioned above) also got back on the train at this stop as well.

IMG_1693.jpeg

Upon arrival in Cincinnati, it had looked there were approximately 50 people boarded as I de-boarded.

What a great and memorable trip I had on the Cardinal from Cincinnati to Chicago. I am so glad I did it, and it will be a trip that I will remember for the rest of my life.

Thanks for the report! Sounds like you had a wonderful trip.

We've wanted to go to an occasional event in Columbus, but with the distance from Amtrak, and the oh-dark-thirty arrival and departure, we didn't feel that the train a feasible way to get there. Did you drive from Columbus to CIN, or did you take some kind of transit?

Thanks for the report! Sounds like you had a wonderful trip.

We've wanted to go to an occasional event in Columbus, but with the distance from Amtrak, and the oh-dark-thirty arrival and departure, we didn't feel that the train a feasible way to get there. Did you drive from Columbus to CIN, or did you take some kind of transit?
I drove from Columbus to Cincinnati. It's approximately 1.5 hrs drive time.

I also fully understand your position about Amtrak not being that feasible from Columbus. I feel your pain.

Back